Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to deal with tresspassers?? >

How to deal with tresspassers??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to deal with tresspassers??

Old 10-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default How to deal with tresspassers??

So to start, last night i finally had a nice 120-130 class 9pt and 2 does coming in to me. I first saw them and ranged them at 100 yards down to 50 coming right for me. At 50 all 3 heads went full alert and i was like what the heck. Then wind is in my face, me entry trail is behind me, i never moved there's no way they picked me. and just like that there gone. Needless to say was stunded at what just happened when i see movement off to my right. Here comes a neighbor guy in a bright red coat trudging right through the thickes stuff on the property. So at this point i am just boiling, he never see's me and walks right underneath my stand and which point i yell out " hey, what the fu#$ do you think your doing" his response is just going for a walk. Now a little background on this guy. He thinks he owns the property of which he does not, he thinks he can hunt it of which he can not, he used to mow trails all through out the property so he could walk it. The land owner is a good freind of mine and hates this guy with a passion and thats why i got permission to hunt this property is to keep all the neighbors off that think they own it. Well last year everytime i went there to go hunting he would be there walking his dog and would quickly sneak out the back or if i could catch him he would come up with excuses on how he has permission to be there and hunt it. When me and the land owner explained to him the he had permission for niether. We found his treestands on our property and took them down and put them in his yard for him, we plastered the property with no tresspassing signs, and we took 8ft fence post and drove them 3 feet down 8in apart on his trail that he took his lawnmower on our property. 2 days later all the fence post or gone, the no tresspassing signs are ripped off, and his treestands are back up. At this point were ferious, call the cops they come out and try explaining that he cant be doing that but have no proof so they cant do anything and just worn him. so we retake his stands down, rip the seats of them and nail no tresspassing signs to the seats and throw them back in his yard. that was all last year, this year i had not seen him again and thought that it was all behind us but low and behold here he is up to his old tricks. Not to mention the fact that he had to walk right past the gate which was open and my truck was parked 20ft inside so there is no way he didnt see i was there. so when this guy is under my treestand i call the landowner to see what he wants to do, well i had the phone on speaker phone to make sure he could here what he said and all the landowner would say is "just shoot him, im so effing sick and tired of his sh#$ just shoot the bastard. which obviously wasnt gonna happen but trying to get the point across of how pissed of he is about this. meanwhile the neighbor is coming up with all kinds of excuses for being out there, which i aint haven and am just cussing him out and telling him the laws and get the f out of there. So today the landowner is calling the dnr to see what we can do about this guy. obviously the cops talking to him isnt doing anything. and had i been thinking straight this whole time i had my camera up for videoing and i shouldve had it rolling put didnt. any tips on what to do as this is getting REALLY old.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to deal with tresspassers??

well you know there are ways to stop that. like call the police and then tell him one more time you do it again you will be fined or arrested.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Spike

I'm not sure how your local laws work, but where I am I would have to go to the county magistrate and file criminal charges. At that point, the person who is having charges filed against is served with a summons and a court date. That date is usually just the day where they say they will either defend themselves, get a lawyer or apply for the county lawyer and then a trial date would be set. At the trial, it would basically be your word against his unless you have photos or other documentation showing that he was on the property. It would be up to the judge at that point, though. If he was found guilty, though, and he kept doing it, he'd proly get jail time the next go round. Like I said, I don't know how it works where you are, but thats what I would have to do. It's a big pain and unless you have good proof, it proly won't fly - unless the guy is an idiot and admits to it...
Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

KEEP A CAMERA IN YOUR BAG. AT ALL TIMES. PICTURES WORTH A 1000 WORDS.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

i am with the land owner on this one
Old 10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

The landowner really needs to go to the local police and demand that the tresspasser be dealt with. Laws are being broken. The cops will get increasingly pissed if the landowner continues to harrass them that they are not doing their job, and they will eventually do something more than give a warning.

The DNR needs to be called repeatedly too. That's the only way they will be forced to pay attention to a tresspasser.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

well the cops have been to his place a few times( he seems to be good at not being around when they come) but he has been talked to. And we do keep calling the cops but with out fiscal evidence they cant doing anything other that warn. i screwed up on my part by not having the camera rolling. And ive heard that around here even if you do have proof you need to get an attorney and basically sue him would cost us money to get the attorney and such. I just wish we could put enough heat on him that he would stay out but that aint happening. Right now were waiting for what the dnr is going to do and the plan is tonight after dark plaster the property with signs again and mount some game cameras up in the trees to see if we cant catch him taking them down. And on top of all this this guy has the balls to call the cops on us all the time. everytime we go out there in the summer to have a fire or something he always calls the cops and complains, once we were welding i beams in b/t the gate and the trees which used to be another entrance point for him, he called the cops on us and said there was suspicious activity going on, WTF. All last year when ever we were out there hunting he would be out shooting off fireworks evernight for about an hour right before dark, when confronted he would just say that i wasnt him. I just dont think he's ever gonna go away.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neighbor? What neighbor? Oh, have you seen my lovely compost pile?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

you know if your shooting a bow shoot him with the bow....lol/jk. but you can deal with him via the police and pictures as well as a letter from the landowner.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem last year and had the trespasser actually threaten me with an axe. We called the cops and they sent a sheriff who didn't want to do much about it. He finally served the guy a warning, which meant any future incidents and he gets fined. Next time we're calling the DNR officer and let him give him a ticket.

Quick Reply: How to deal with tresspassers??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.