Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pattering A Mature Buck >

Pattering A Mature Buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pattering A Mature Buck

Old 10-07-2008, 03:38 PM

Default RE: Pattering A Mature Buck

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

Then just kill him, so he wont bother you anymore....worked on my neighbors dog.....[8D]

Just kiddin....
was funny till the just kidding part

just kiddin....
Old 10-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't see why not, it has to be doing something.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Early season maybe coming to a crop field. After that I don't think he has a pattern you can figure out.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:43 PM

Too many people where i hunt. No chance i'm going to pattern a buck here in PA. I have enough trouble with the guys on dirtbikes and quads running trails through bedding areas!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Germ, as you know, i thought i had a chance at a biggun unpressured...but was slightly surprised when another hunter walked under my stand this evening...and then he tells me of him and his buddy hunting there atleast once before....

cant account for stuff like that...period. with climbing stands being so popular, and small woodlots being common, its VERY hard to tell who is hunting where and when...they can enter anywhere and still be hunting the same deer your hunting....

bow hunting is also gaining huge popularity around my area...gas prices went up so spotting isnt as popular, but now they are just baiting and putting cameras in every woodlot all summer long....these guys have the hunting screwed before it starts going in and checking cameras and bringing bait...these woodlots are just too small to be sloppy going in sweating and stinking the place up in the summer to drag in bait and check the cameras, moving cameras, hanging stands, moving stands etc etc....(atleast most of mine are small...and many guys doing the same thing...)

guy tonite had cologn on i could smell STRONG 15ft away talking to him....

cant account for things like that...mature bucks arent mature coz they are dumb...we know that.

just gotta hunt smarter than the average hunters...alot of it comes back to learning the other hunters as much as your learning the deer....find the best looking places with the most sign and absolutely avoid them like the plauge is always my rule of thumb lol...fields, areas easy to get to and close to the road etc all get scratched off the list...nice open hard woods too....i gotta take these steps to see DEER...let alone mature bucks lol.....

guys that have never hunted states like this just cant understand what its like to have somewhere around 1 million hunters in a state...not complaining...just stating its different...ive never hunted anywhere else, but i know its different just by reading posts on here...even our REAL private land is different from the land i currently hunt....i know that from talking to buddies and stuff...
Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

i hunt private land but i never try to pattern one particular deer, i just work on the standard that big bucks think about three things-food, sleep, and sex so i find a bedding area,andplant food plots which have the added benefit of drawing in lots of does. then i play the waiting game. usually every year i see a couple shooter bucks, i just don't always get a decent shot.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Patterning a mature buck is easier without other hunters around, thats for sure. For example I have a much harder time today than in the past, mainly because I have hunted basically the same areas for many seasons but I now share those general areas with other hunters, whereas in the past I mainly had those areas to myself.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, mature bucks can be patterned in highly pressured areas. I get it done every year until Sept. 15th. LOL

I hear what Duke and Cougar and some others are saying, but I feel there is a big difference between hunting pressure, and people pressure. A lot of the areas I hunt are frequented by motorcycle riders, joggers, dog walkers, horseback riders, mountain bikers, and hunters. I see how the deer react to the people pressure and that is they are attentive to it, avoid the people, but then go about their business. They react much differently to hunting pressure. People pressure will alter the deers' movement in the woods, hunting pressure puts them on lock down.

I've seen it every year over the last 8 years since I moved back up here. There is a difference. That doesn't mean those bucks can't be hunted, but I have found a tried and true method yet.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rgargasz

I feel that you can pattern a buck in the summer months and early season, but when the velvet comes off and the bachelor groups break up there is no telling where that buck might claim his territory. I agree with NY/AL in saying that hunting funnels in your particular woods is going to give you the best bet at seeing your buck along with many other deer. I have shot a few deer that dont neccessarily have a pattern, but i saw him go out of the woods at night, and moved my stand to ambush him coming in at daybreak. Each deer is different in behaviors but in the big picture all deer are the same when it comes to habbit and instinct....cover, food/water,cover

cosign this. Once a buck gets the breeding impulse your better off hunting funnels between bedding areas and catch him checking does. If you find the buck sign early in the season I think thats your best bet on taking him on his summer pattern. After that I'd hunt where the does are.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one really good one patterned. He walks by my camera every 2 to 3 days at 3:51am[&:]

Quick Reply: Pattering A Mature Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.