Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pattering A Mature Buck >

Pattering A Mature Buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pattering A Mature Buck

Old 10-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Pattering A Mature Buck

Can a mature buck be pattern in a high pressure state like MI, PA, NY and others?

IMO I say no, there are just to many varibles one cannot account for.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pattering A Mature Buck

Summer pattern yes.

But there is no way you could pattern a mature buck in my neck of the woods. I have more luck finding the funnles and playing the waiting game rather then making a season long project out of one particular buck. Even during bow season in NY there is probably more hunting pressure than most other states during the heat of gun season. Also, up here during fall it can be 60 one day, then 30 the next, andthat ceertainlyaffects deer movement.

Were just damned good hunters!
Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM

I don't look at pressure in a statewide sense. One area, say 2 sq. miles, can be heavily pressured, while just a few more miles away the pressure can be MUCH less heavy. This is my experience at least in Central IL. It seems that around here there are a lot of small(relatively) properties with hunters on all of them, with every once in a while a large, secluded tract with very low pressure that becomes a 'local' deer hunting utopia.

This is how it is with myself and a friend of mine. We scout together, hang stands together, and have very similar hunting styles. I hunt small pressured grounds with other people/neighbors nearby, he has a lot to himself. These 2 areas are roughly 15 miles away, as a crow flies. He sees the same large deer throughout the season, I rarely see the same bucks twice. We're in our mid 20's, he has 5 deer between 125-150", I have 1.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:06 PM

I feel that you can pattern a buck in the summer months and early season, but when the velvet comes off and the bachelor groups break up there is no telling where that buck might claim his territory. I agree with NY/AL in saying that hunting funnels in your particular woods is going to give you the best bet at seeing your buck along with many other deer. I have shot a few deer that dont neccessarily have a pattern, but i saw him go out of the woods at night, and moved my stand to ambush him coming in at daybreak. Each deer is different in behaviors but in the big picture all deer are the same when it comes to habbit and instinct....cover, food/water,cover
Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't even pattern a YOUNG buck let alone a mature one where I hunt. Patterning is not even an option for does.

A few places that stay unpressured I think you may be able to, but the vast majority that I see, not a chance.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't look at pressure in a statewide sense. One area, say 2 sq. miles, can be heavily pressured, while just a few more miles away the pressure can be MUCH less heavy. This is my experience at least in Central IL. It seems that around here there are a lot of small(relatively) properties with hunters on all of them, with every once in a while a large, secluded tract with very low pressure that becomes a 'local' deer hunting utopia.

This is how it is with myself and a friend of mine. We scout together, hang stands together, and have very similar hunting styles. I hunt small pressured grounds with other people/neighbors nearby, he has a lot to himself. These 2 areas are roughly 15 miles away, as a crow flies. He sees the same large deer throughout the season, I rarely see the same bucks twice. We're in our mid 20's, he has 5 deer between 125-150", I have 1.
Well said ilcoyote. State has nothing to do with pressure. An area within a state is closer to the truth.

As far as the Q Gary..

I think a mature deer can be patterned in any state. But it has to be the right mature deer. Some bucks are extremely hard to pinpoint any pattern from while others are much easier.. it's just the way it is. Different personalities.

Good luck with Mr mass.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well duke you and I hunt differnet worlds. Example

Sunday night I have a good idea he is in2 spots. My dad cut down a tree right over spot A8. Farmer started combine the beans near spot B as I was looking at it The new nighbors across the river like to ride 4 wheelers during primetime up and down the river[&:]

Old 10-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Germ.. I'll give you an example.

I had a loose donkey on my land my second to last hunt that was being chased by the dude who owned it.. they were on the land I was hunting. This took place at about 7:30-8:00 am that morning.[&:] And as usual the neighbor next door had his german shepherd running around his 40 acres barking up a storm.. sometimes the dog even has the fancy to come visit me.. sometimes.

Shall I talk about my saturday eve hunt. Where dudes were literally walking within 50 yards of me in the tree chasing crows.. I think. Whatever they were hunting.. they were definately shooting at something.[&:]

I get ATVers.. trespassers.. kids looking to build a fort.. loose dogs.. donkeys.. snowmobilers.. even the occasional paintballers.. and of course other hunters. It's common place.. really anywhere I've ever hunted.

I'm not saying MI doesn't have its woes. But Illinois has lots of pressure too. Not everywhere.. as I bet there are areas of MI that have less as well.

Illinois certainly has much more mature deer.. but pressure is about area one hunts within a state.. not whole state. C'mon Germ.. I still love you though.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Well Germ.. I'll give you an example.

I had a loose donkey on my land my second to last hunt that was being chased by the dude who owned it.. they were on the land I was hunting. This took place at about 7:30-8:00 am that morning.[&:] And as usual the neighbor next door had his german shepherd running around his 40 acres barking up a storm.. sometimes the dog even has the fancy to come visit me.. sometimes.

Shall I talk about my saturday eve hunt. Where dudes were literally walking within 50 yards of me in the tree chasing crows.. I think. Whatever they were hunting.. they were definately shooting at something.[&:]

I get ATVers.. trespassers.. kids looking to build a fort.. loose dogs.. donkeys.. snowmobilers.. even the occasional paintballers.. and of course other hunters. It's common place.. really anywhere I've ever hunted.

I'm not saying MI doesn't have its woes. But Illinois has lots of pressure too. Not everywhere.. as I bet there are areas of MI that have less as well.

Illinois certainly has much more mature deer.. but pressure is about area one hunts within a state.. not whole state. C'mon Germ.. I still love you though.

You got me on the Donkeys I had a guy on a Jet Sky come down the river once[:-]

Yes I agree about pressure, I am trying to win the lotto so I can buy 2 sq miles

EDIT

Mr. Mass is getting to me[:-]
Old 10-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then just kill him, so he wont bother you anymore....worked on my neighbors dog.....[8D]

Just kiddin....

Quick Reply: Pattering A Mature Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.