Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pattering A Mature Buck >

Pattering A Mature Buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pattering A Mature Buck

Old 10-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pattering A Mature Buck

Only one I have been able to pattern is the one hanging on my wall. He's there every single time I walk by. [8D]
Old 10-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

I am from southern NJ cape may county(all the way down at the foot) Nj is one of the most densely populated states in the US. We have very little woods and what woods we do have is swamp and thick underbrush. ITs hard to even see deer on a regular basis. Even the private land i hunt isnt very private. People just don't have respect for one another anymore. I have only been hunting for 9 years and im only 19 but i still have noticed a huge difference in the number of hunters in my area. And worse next year the state is bringing in crossbows to the regular archery season which will bring every gun hunter into the woods from october till january. I have never seen a deer over 100" unless it was in a different county. I gotta get outta here [:@][&:]
Old 10-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

any deer any where can be patterned and killed it just takes alot of time and patents
Old 10-08-2008, 11:49 AM

any deer any where can be patterned and killed it just takes alot of time and patents
While several self-invented gadgets may help in patterning a deer, There are far too many variables across the continent to be able to make this blanket statement.

Terrain, urbanization, pressure, natural predators, property boundries, fellow/neighboring hunters, etc. sometimes make patterning a deer almost if not entirely impossible. Add to that work schedules, family, and other commitments, it's really no surprise to me at all that such a large number of the bucks that are killed are done so on the first or second time that the hunter even sees it.

And there's a lot more to a 'pattern' than seeing a deer a few times or getting a couple pic's of it at 3 AM, IMO.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: il coyote
And there's a lot more to a 'pattern' than seeing a deer a few times or getting a couple pic's of it at 3 AM, IMO.
Yes, thank you coyote. That was meant as a joke.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Germ I say yes but with ?? I have done it and it works but not in all Michigan woods. I patterned this buck from late july right up to when I killed him in late Oct. But I was hunting stateland that didn't see muchhunting at all seeing I had to wear waiders and cross two feeder creeks and the main branch of the PM river to get to the island I killed him on. So yes they can but not all over in just any woods.. Walt

Old 10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

I can tell you that deer have a route and will follow it. The older they get the smaller the range. A sox or seven year old deer may only travel a quarter mile in the summer making his pattern very small. After the second week of october the groups split and the pattern is out the window. However his range will get larger making it easier to find ambush points. once the rut hits the bucks are after does so does is what you want to hunt. A buck will also have his favorite fields or weed patches to check for does and will frequent them more than other places. I have killed5 P&Y bucks in the last 3 years 1 in the high 120's 1 in the high 130's a 145 and a 169 The 130 was killed in the rut the others were killed before nov 1 in Indiana and Illinois. You can take all of this for what it is worth because I am still learning myself but every deer has a week spot in their pattern and every deer has a pattern. It is up to you to figure it out.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: buffhntr

I can tell you that deer have a route and will follow it. The older they get the smaller the range. A sox or seven year old deer may only travel a quarter mile in the summer making his pattern very small. After the second week of october the groups split and the pattern is out the window. However his range will get larger making it easier to find ambush points. once the rut hits the bucks are after does so does is what you want to hunt. A buck will also have his favorite fields or weed patches to check for does and will frequent them more than other places. I have killed5 P&Y bucks in the last 3 years 1 in the high 120's 1 in the high 130's a 145 and a 169 The 130 was killed in the rut the others were killed before nov 1 in Indiana and Illinois. You can take all of this for what it is worth because I am still learning myself but every deer has a week spot in their pattern and every deer has a pattern. It is up to you to figure it out.
While agree with your tactics, waiting for him at his favorite spot is not "pattering", it's guessing he will be there. A pattern buck one should "know" where he is at, where he has been, and where he's going.

For example I know all of Mr. Mass spots. I know where he beds, where he eats, hell I even know where he drinks. If I truly knew his "pattern" I would know why and when he visits these areas.

Does anyone know the why and when of a mature buck? If so you should be able to call your shot
Old 10-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Germ, many bucks get patterned, in late summer and stay predictable into the season. They are known as Jerky. A buck of Mr. Mass's caliber is not staying alive and dominant by being predictable. I don't care where a big buck is, be it private land or public forest if more than 1 person has seen him he is being pursued by more than 1 person. (Example: take that Utube video of the Giant in Wisconsin, every idiot with an email account and a bow or gun has seen him, heck from what I hear the area is now patroled 24/7 for poachers).

Rather than us patterning them, alot of times THEY pattern us!

You approach from a river, via boat correct? I wouldn't be surprised if he is able to see you coming and knows what that means (HUNTER IN MY HOMELAND!!), he's smelled your arrival and departure. Mix it up come in on foot, different access points, see if you can fool him at his own game.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Germ, many bucks get patterned, in late summer and stay predictable into the season. They are known as Jerky. A buck of Mr. Mass's caliber is not staying alive and dominant by being predictable. I don't care where a big buck is, be it private land or public forest if more than 1 person has seen him he is being pursued by more than 1 person. (Example: take that Utube video of the Giant in Wisconsin, every idiot with an email account and a bow or gun has seen him, heck from what I hear the area is now patroled 24/7 for poachers).

Rather than us patterning them, alot of times THEY pattern us!

You approach from a river, via boat correct? I wouldn't be surprised if he is able to see you coming and knows what that means (HUNTER IN MY HOMELAND!!), he's smelled your arrival and departure. Mix it up come in on foot, different access points, see if you can fool him at his own game.
Sound advice I am thinking very hard about getting a traditional bow, so I can crawl through the CRP and get him.

Quick Reply: Pattering A Mature Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.