Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting in the rain... >

Bowhunting in the rain...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting in the rain...

Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunting in the rain...

So they're calling for showers here in the next ouple of days, and Im most likely to be off work until Friday.

Do you guys bowhunt in the rain? I mean if you make a less than perfect shot, your pretty much screwed. right? The rain doesnt bother me in the least, its the tracking if I were to be successful...
Old 10-07-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting in the rain...

Rain doesn't bother me, as long as it is not so heavy that deer won't move. I'll sit through a downpour if I think it will stop and deer will move after that.

Trailing can be trickier, but if you take shots that are slam-dunks, you shouldn't have any problem. I know a guy that is so colorblind he can't see blood on leaves. He finds all his deer because he won't quit until he does.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

To deer rain is just another day. Now a hurricane driving rain might make for a tough shot, but Ive shot deer in the rain before. Make a good shot just like any other time you shoot a deer.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Like it was said before, make a good shot and tracking will be next to nothing. Good luck out there.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you shoot another one with the Rage you won't have to worry about tracking!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

You all ever hear about the dogs being able to smell better when the ground is moist? Like bird dogs? Maybe this makes it easier for the deer to smell your trail in and out of the woods. Don’t thinks it’s a huge issue but may need to spray down and apply some sort of local cover sent. I don’t do this but have thought about it.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like it was said before, make a good shot and tracking will be next to nothing. Good luck out there.
That don't matter one bit! I've seen double lung heart shots go 200 yards before finally giving In. To me hunting In the rain Is asking for It.

There's always another day.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted in the rain many times. I hunted Illinois in a downpour that would rival a hurricanes and passed on a borderline pope and young deer because of the rain. If it is showers, then I would hunt as I will over the next few days, as we are expecting rain here as well. They move great in between the showers.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 PM

You guys all say IF your makea perfect shot. I would not shoot 1 while it was raining because I couldnt make myself 100% positive that the shot will be perfect.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 PM

I'll hunt rain but haven't had much success. Just don't hunt down pours in aclimber. My climber slid bout 3 feet down the tree i was in when it was raining once. It would have been a good treeon a dry day!

Quick Reply: Bowhunting in the rain...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.