Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pope and Young #2 down!....so early? >

Pope and Young #2 down!....so early?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pope and Young #2 down!....so early?

Old 10-06-2008, 09:32 PM

Default Pope and Young #2 down!....so early?

Ohio's Archery season started on the 27th of September and by October 1st I had filled my buck tag......
one of the perks of being a Teacher is having weekends off and being done with the work day at 2:30..plenty of time to get in the woods.
On this particular day i wasnt so lucky, Parent teacher conferences were keeping me at work untill 6:15pm. With a cold front moving in over the past two days and the increasing big buck sign i was seeing, I wanted to be in the stand so bad i couldnt see straight. I happend tobring mybow with me in the morning....you know.....just incase....and my hunting gear is always stored in a tupperwear full of leaves and sticks in the back of my truck. All day i was fighting the urge to leave conferences early out the back door.....no one will notice i said to myself...im just a gym teacher...no one talks to me anyway.....by 4:50pm i couldnt take it anymore and i was out the back like i stole something.
My brother (PAbrent) and I had hunted this particular farmthe opening weekend and saw twosmall bucks and several doe but nothing to brag about. knowing a bruiser was in the area i opted to give it another try but in a different location, 50yds back from where my brother (PAbrent) was.
5:20pm,cuttin it close...I hurried and threw my gear on, grabbed my climber and headed in fast but quiet. I had an idea of where i wanted to be, a funnel that contained a scrape the size of a truck hood that my cuddeback was monitering and buck rubs on trees the size of my leg.I found a tree 45 yards from the scrape that would work for my climber and give me a shot in all directions. Iscurried up the tree ....5:45pm
I was starting to doubt my decision of leaving work early and getting into the woods so late when 7pm rolled around and i hadnt seen or heard anything. shooting light was fading fast.....did i spoil this hunt by getting in so late? did i spooke anything that would have come my way?.....kicking myself in the @$$ i started to pack up, i wanted to get down and out before light was gone. suddenly i heard a "crack" and shuffle of leaves....that distinctive sound you know is NOT a squirrel. I turned to find a buck standing at the giant scrape just 40yds away! I could tell he was a good buck but couldnt get the details due to all the leaves stillin the trees. I grabbed my bow, clipped on the release and waited as he fed on acorns....closer and closer.....he is a monster!...closer..... the shakes are setting in..... when he ends up 3yds from my stand and i can hear him crunching in acorns my heart was skippin beats. I had to take my attention off of his rack and focus on what i had to do....I was in the zone!! I let him walk a few more steps.......drew my bow......and released an arrow that hit with a SMMMAACK!...right in the boiler room.....I knew he was hit hard....jumping and kicking his back legshe took off like a shot then faded fast about 40 yards out......HE'S DOWN!!!! I had to sit in my stand for a good 20 minutesbefore i stopped shakin enough to climb down.
Walking up to this giant Ohio whitetail was awsome....13pts...both brows are split, eye guard coming off of his left beam....bases i could hardly get my fingers around....tines that reached to the coulds...and a pig!!...this beast weighed every bit of 280-300lbs. This ismy biggest buck ever andmy second pope and young buck in two years, I am definately hooked on monster whitetail hunting. Hope the picture attaches to this, if it doesnt that means i dont know how to do it and could use anyones help.....Cant wait to spend some time in the woods with my dad and brother here in the land of giants.

GOOD LUCK ALL, HAVE A GREAT SEASON.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pope and Young #2 down!....so early?

Worthless without pics here.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

PICS????????????
Old 10-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Congrats!!! Man, I got pumped just reading the story! lol I NEED to see some pics, though,or I wont feellike I have closure to the story[8D]. . and btw, am I allowed to ask what part of our great state he came from? (by PM, if you'd like)Only out of curiousity, I have my usualspots, and no need to go elswhere.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 PM

how the heck do you put pics on....i tried to upload them a dozen times, it says upload successful, but no picture comes on the story
Old 10-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Spike

Just host them on imageshack.us or photobucket.com
Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

Did I hear sack punch? What kind of story is this without a picture. Send it to me and I will size it and post....just to assure that you woke up from the dream you just wrote.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Banned

www.tinypic.com

anyone can upload and post a link using that site
Old 10-06-2008, 10:00 PM

whats your email hoyt?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rgargasz

whats your email hoyt?
[email protected] oryou can click on "email" under my avatar and send it that way.

Quick Reply: Pope and Young #2 down!....so early?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.