Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Landon, Brett, Joey, Corey...all VA bowhunters check out update >

Landon, Brett, Joey, Corey...all VA bowhunters check out update

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Landon, Brett, Joey, Corey...all VA bowhunters check out update

Old 10-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Landon, Brett, Joey, Corey...all VA bowhunters check out update

Hey guys, I dont know the extent of what fines and consequences took place, but this is the update on VA archery vs deer hounds went. Read the update at the bottom of my first post.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3081745

Maybe things are finally get better for my land at least. I hope retaliation is not in the future of my stands, gate, plots, and cameras will be, but I think I at least got their attention!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Landon, Brett, Joey, Corey...all VA bowhunters check out update

I'm glad they took it seriously.

You know, its kinda just common.... all the dog drivers are hollering and carrying on about how everyone is trying to stop dog hunting.... and now it seems like more and more of them are giving folks ammunition to do so. Its like seeing a cop taking speeds and mashing the accelerator.. then complaining about over-zelous highway cops!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

Andy,

Im not sure if the previous regulations were written in this detail of hunting with dogs. I know much debate has been pressuring game officials to do something, but I believe that the noose is tightening. Like I have said before, its a blast to let the dogs stir up the woods when gun season is in and you are much more mobile during these hunts. But like archery and muzzleloader season, it offers a different type of hunting.

Archery and muzzy give you a single opportunity at an ethical shot compared to a shotgun that sprays 9-15 pellets at a moving target. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that should ever do away with dog hunting, but rules and regulations need to be followed.As I said above, I dont have any previous years VDGIF reulation books, but I was told that this was recently revised due to the much debated topic of dog hunting and look for the future years to stress the training and running of deer dogs for the purpose of hunting.

I know dogs dont know boundaries, but if they are not let into the woods in the off season it wouldnt need to be an isssue. Anyway, I hope it helps with the hard work I have done all pre-season preparing my leased land for Spring Gobbler, Archery, and muzzleloader.

I have three days coming on Thursday that I will be in various stands throughout this particular parcel, and will soon see if the dogs will return. The contact I have with Hanover Animal Control is actually a bowhunter and I have invited him for a few hunts, which he accepted. I wonder how much he will take a second stab at them if his hunt is spoiled at sunrise or sunset after sitting still in a stand.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can empathize.

The NC dog hunting days are numbered. The issue is in the local paper about once per month. People (not just hunters) are fed up with the trespassing. It may take a few years but it will be illegal here eventually.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 AM

when it's gone.....they will have no one else to blame .......people that don't live in areas where dogs are allowed to hunt deer with just don't understand how difficult it makes it to kill deer with a bow....the deer simply stay put b/c of the dog hunting year around...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like I've said before, I dealt with it for years on my brothers property----It absolutely ruined my hunting on many days.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Jeff,

I missed your original post, that sucks man. I figured you'd do good on the first day because you have some nice properties to hunt. Hope the rest of your season goes a little smoother for you. I saw nothing but does on the first day and smoked one that evening. I haven't posted pics or the story because I can' t upload my pics to photobucket to host them. Oh well, I'll try later.

Haven't been out since Saturday, but I'll get in an evening sit tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 PM

Yeah its a pain in the *** and I even think virginia will probably be banning it or limiting it to big tracks of land. In the near Future.

Kinda Glad my hunting area is surrounded on three sizes by a River, it helps keep Dogs and trespessers out
Old 10-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

Andy,

Im not sure if the previous regulations were written in this detail of hunting with dogs. I know much debate has been pressuring game officials to do something, but I believe that the noose is tightening. Like I have said before, its a blast to let the dogs stir up the woods when gun season is in and you are much more mobile during these hunts. But like archery and muzzleloader season, it offers a different type of hunting.

Archery and muzzy give you a single opportunity at an ethical shot compared to a shotgun that sprays 9-15 pellets at a moving target. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that should ever do away with dog hunting, but rules and regulations need to be followed.As I said above, I dont have any previous years VDGIF reulation books, but I was told that this was recently revised due to the much debated topic of dog hunting and look for the future years to stress the training and running of deer dogs for the purpose of hunting.

I know dogs dont know boundaries, but if they are not let into the woods in the off season it wouldnt need to be an isssue. Anyway, I hope it helps with the hard work I have done all pre-season preparing my leased land for Spring Gobbler, Archery, and muzzleloader.

I have three days coming on Thursday that I will be in various stands throughout this particular parcel, and will soon see if the dogs will return. The contact I have with Hanover Animal Control is actually a bowhunter and I have invited him for a few hunts, which he accepted. I wonder how much he will take a second stab at them if his hunt is spoiled at sunrise or sunset after sitting still in a stand.
The laws have not changed at all. Not one bit. Running deer outside of gun season has always been illegal. Infact, I think in the not to distant past the right to retrieve law actually got more liberal rather than more restrictive, and that might be the cause of a lot of issues. I never really paid much attention to it before two years ago.

What has changed, however, is the number of folks who are getting increasingly tired of it. I'm pretty much indifferent to dog hunting in general....I don't really like folks standing on the hard surface road... and I abhor the condition that a lot of clubs keep their dogs in..... but otherwise, I could care less about running deer with dogs during the season.... because frankly I'm duck hunting anyway (going in the morning to boot!).

But I have had far and away too many bow hunts and WAY WAY too many turkey hunts messed up by deer dogs running out of season.... and its the out of season running that I absolutely hate... and frankly if it takes banning the use of hounds in VA to stop the out of season running..... then bring it on.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like the same thing we put up with in WV with the bear dogs. The d!ck heads up here train all freakn' year leagle or not. Keeps the deer on pins and neddles all the time. When they get caught alll they have to do is say they are coon hunting.