HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Moultrie trail cam question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/266727-moultrie-trail-cam-question.html)

MOmightymite 10-06-2008 03:38 PM

Moultrie trail cam question

We just got a couple Moultrie game cams on the property we are hunting, but I can't find a way to lock them to the tree. I dont think theft will be a problem, but just to be safe. I thought a bike lock would work but the cable is too big to fit through the camera. Any advice?

V8Ranger 10-06-2008 03:55 PM

RE: Moultrie trail cam question

The only thing I saw was someone on e-bay was selling a case that you put the cam in and(I beleive metal )lock it in that. You lag the metal case to the tree, there for it cant be puled off the tree.Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/Moultrie-Game-Spy-D40-Digital-Trail-Camera-Security-Box_W0QQitemZ130259702936QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 30259702936

MOmightymite 10-06-2008 09:26 PM

Thanks, but that is more than we payed for the camera...lol We got a really good deal on it.

RackLuster 10-06-2008 09:42 PM

which camera did you get? My guess is you didn't get a current model (d40,i40,m40,i60,m60 etc.)

the biggest design flaw of the moultries is that they are not easy to secure. moultrie tries to get you to buy their $50 case (which by the way is a 100% waste of money, DON'T BUY IT!).

V8Ranger 10-07-2008 03:33 AM

I'm not trying to be rude so please don't take this that way, If you got such a great deal on them, then why are you worried about locking them to a tree? I think that box is a great idea and for the price it would very well be worth it. Those cams take nice pic's and video and are not that cheap to replace. I love mine and I just got it used off e-bay, $75, D40, I know I cant replace it for that. If I had to worry about it being stolen I would all ready have one of those things. Cant wait to see some of your trail cam pics.

Super G Force 10-07-2008 06:40 AM

Padlocks and chains worked on my d40's before I built boxes for them.
I had 20$ in parts per box and had to build them so the $37 on e-bay is a pretty good deal. We had some cameras stollen a couple of years ago and we just used the straps that came with them. We own the land and no one else is to be on it, but you know how that goes.
Good luck.

Western MA Hunter 10-07-2008 12:07 PM

I usually just use a ratchet strap... no locks...

Canuck33 10-07-2008 12:20 PM

Get a python lock or some snake lock, you can drill the holes slightly bigger to get the cable through, be careful to only take enough plastic to get the cable through, that way you can lock them. I also highly recommend the trail cam mounting system you screw in I have one fro all my cams it is much easier to mount and you can also run the cable through the and around the tree to help even more. That being said the cable will still be going through plastic so if someone really wants it they can break it off and then they will have a broken camera. I suggest trying to put the cams in areas people normally dont look

MOmightymite 10-07-2008 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: RackLuster

which camera did you get? My guess is you didn't get a current model (d40,i40,m40,i60,m60 etc.)

the biggest design flaw of the moultries is that they are not easy to secure. moultrie tries to get you to buy their $50 case (which by the way is a 100% waste of money, DON'T BUY IT!).
We have both a D40 and their 2.1 megapixel models and neither of them are good for locking to the tree.

SouthDakotaHunter 10-07-2008 01:30 PM

I've thought about locking mine down before but since all the housing is made out of plastic, I don't know how much good it would do to cable them up (may help against the opportunist)?? To really protect them, I think you would have to 'encase' them in some type of metal case, even then if someone has enough time and the right tools they'll get to the camera.

Luckily, I haven't had any trail cams grow legs (knock on wood) in about 5 years of using them. GuessI figure since the Moultrees are a minimal investment (as far as cameras go) I'll just roll the dice.... In my opinion, no since in spending a ton of cash protecting a sub $100 investment...