HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   My first bad shot - lost the blood trail - thank you, guys! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/266536-my-first-bad-shot-lost-blood-trail-thank-you-guys.html)

LittleChief 10-05-2008 02:47 PM

My first bad shot - lost the blood trail - thank you, guys!

It was a tough night last night.

During the morning sit yesterday in Arkansas,all I saw was two spikes and a bunch of turkeys. During the evening sit I saw two more turkeys (no shot) and no deer until 6:45 pm. I heard the tell-tale "crunch..crunch...crunch" and I was expecting a buck. Nope, it was a mature doe. She seemed to be on a mission, because she wasn't being cautious at all. In fact, her pace never altered. She went behind small tree and I managed to get my bow,and I managed to get into shooting position before she made it to my two spots I had ranged. I decided I wasn't going to try to stop her. I was going to take this moving shot. It was 25 yards at both spots, and my top pin dialed in at 25 yards. Her head went behind a small bush, and I came to full draw. At the first opening, I couldn't get the pin settled. At the second opening, it settled almost by itself and I touched the release. In the dim light, it was easy to see those white wraps with white blazers streak to the deer. As soon as I saw the impact point, I knew I had made a mistake. I had totally forgotten to lead. She was slightly quartered away, and the entrance wound was about halfway between her front and hind leg. Perfect elevation, though.

When the arrow hit, she jumped WAY up in the air, double kicked (that was cool!) and took off up the hill. I heard her crash about 25 seconds later and I thought maybe I hadn't made such a bad shot. Then I heard another crash, then another, then brush breaking, then another. All of this noise was taking a route to the left. I figured that this wasn't a typical 30 minute wait situation, so about 45 minutes later, I climbed down as quietly as I could, eased over to find my arrow and examined it. It was covered in blood. I grabbed my little Knight & Hale beacon light and hung it right over the arrow and backed out of the woods. Went back to camp (my wife went with me) and told her that we'd need to give it at least two hours.

Two hours later, we head into the woods. We picked up the blood trail right away, but I was severely disappointed in this trail. For the first 60 yards, it was just little drops here and there. We found one spot that had some pretty sizeable spotches, but then it trickled out at 100 yards. We circled and searched. I called my brother who lives a half hour away. He couldn't make it over there right then, so I asked him what the temperature was supposed to be, and he said the low would be 56 degrees. I said thanks and hung up. I stood there thinking about giving up. It was 10:00 at night, I'm colorblind and my wife, while very supportive, is ready to give up.

Then I thought "what would the HNI gang say if I posted this story right now?" Here's what I'd hear: "Get back out there"."She's lying dead out there, go find her!""What are you doingon the computer? Go find her!" "Circle, circle, circle"I sighed, smiled andsaid to mywife "Well, it's going to be a late night." We started circling from the last blood, and my wife finally found a few pinpricks of blood about 25 yards from where we lost the trail, and we picked it up again for about 20 more yards, then lost it. I stood there in the middle of the woods and told myself "okay just stop in replay the events in your mind". Then I remembered that the crashing sounds had gone to the left, so we marked the last blood and cut left and found one more drop. I told my wife to "wait here" and I walked that direction. I was holding up a coleman lantern and wearing a head band flashlight, and I hadn't gone 40 yards from where the last drop of blood was until I saw her lying there.

The shot sliced through the liver and just got the edge of the right lung.

What a night. Anyway, thanks for the mental boost out there in the middle of the woods last night.;)

Bullet Hole Bailey 10-05-2008 02:55 PM

RE: My first bad shot - lost the blood trail - thank you, guys!

CONGRATS MAN!!!!!

THATS AWESOME!

robdre56 10-05-2008 02:57 PM

congrats man way to handle yourself out there great story

early in 10-05-2008 03:13 PM

You did all the right things, and it payed off. Congrats on a nice doe.

Rory/MO 10-05-2008 03:14 PM

Congrats!

Spearchucker 10-05-2008 03:27 PM

Congrats on the Doe, and Way to go Sticking with it. Great determination, and respect towards the Animal.

Matt / PA 10-05-2008 03:38 PM

Nice work!!
Night time tracking can be a touch intimidating honestly........especially for someone colorblind. geez. :D
It's easy to lose a feel for how far you've gone, where your stand was, lay of the land, blood can be harder to see obviously so it can take some patience.

Heck while talking to Greg the other night on his 2 does it took him 1/2hr to find his arrow in a cut bean field 20 yards from his stand. LOL ;):D

The fine line and point of decision comes when you aren't sure just how much of the vitals you got. There's giving up, and then there's knowing when to just back outwith the intention of having a plan in the morning.
You read the sign on the arrow, made the correct decision thankfully and sorted it out. Always a good thing. :)

Bowtech 360 10-05-2008 03:47 PM

Are you in a earn a buck state? Nice doe.

Vabowman 10-05-2008 03:48 PM

Nice work LC!!

PreacherTony 10-05-2008 03:49 PM

Awesome tenacity, LC!! Congrats to you!!!