Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tis The Season.... >

Tis The Season....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tis The Season....

Old 10-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tis The Season....

Buckaclaus is coming to the neighborhoods near you. He brings you and me great joy when he comes, but he also brings frustration and dismay.

This morning I went to help my neighbor to the East cut trees away from the power lines. We ended cutting down 8 huge pin oaks that had died and were threatening to fall on the lines. Things were going great until his endloader died. I drove the 4 wheeler back to the house to get some ether for him to get it restarted and on the way back down the lane to where he was, I punctured the tire with a 1" stick. It left a tear that cannot be patched and I now need a new tire @ $104.00. I brought the 4 wheeler back to the garage and walked back with the ether. We got the endloader going again and continued on. While cutting up the trees that we fell, the chain jumped the track and whipped around and cut the neighbor (he's 72 years old). I finished up with my chain saw and loaded up the truck with the cut wood. When we finished, it was time to get cleaned up, suited up, and into the stand.

I got up in the marsh stand and sat down @ 5:00 PM. I sat there and watched the marsh and trails paralleling the marsh. About 5:30, a red headed woodpecker landed on the tree next to me where the bow hanger is. He was about a foot over the hanger and proceeded to peck away for a good twenty minutes. I continued to sit there and watch him and the trails until he left.

About 6:30, just as the sun had set over the horizon and I was thinking to myself the deer would be here soon, there was a gunshot from the land North of mine and I heard the boy yell, "I did it, I did it, I finally got one!" They were over 1/2 mile away, but the stampede on the other side of the marsh started as soon as the gunshot went off and was over in a flash! All I saw was bits n pieces of deer flying by heading South. Being the ultimate optimist, I sat there for another 45 minutes before getting down. Youth season ends tomorrow and maybe the deer can settle down until the rut.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tis The Season....

wow .....I bet your glad today is over Mark ....
Old 10-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be glad its over, when I wake up tomorrow with a pulse and breathing!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

WOW What a day for you. With the youth season over you can get down to some huntin' and hopefully they left the good bucks for you.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

I will be glad its over, when I wake up tomorrow with a pulse and breathing!
as old as you are, ya never know ....
Old 10-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

at least you got to sit today [:@] i never even got out tomorrow though
[align=left] [/align]
Old 10-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Supposed to have thunderstorms tonight. Clear tomorrow, and then rain Monday - Wednesday.[:@] I predict my best chance to take a buck before the rut will be October 14th.