Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Not quite the opening day I imagined... >

Not quite the opening day I imagined...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not quite the opening day I imagined...

Old 10-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Not quite the opening day I imagined...

Well, its been a tough day. I'm going to try and keep this short.

Walking in this morning I swear I scared away every deer in the county. They were bedded right where I needed to be. Got to my "stand" this morning and had a hard time distinguishing which tree was actually the one I needed to be in. I made it up about 25 feet and realized I was in the wrong tree. Got down and finally found my tree. It was just breaking daylight. I haven't made that mistake....in years.[&:] That's what I get for hunting in some many poplars.

Couple hours later, I saw a doe about 70 yards out and she was spooked. Nothing I did. Moments later...I look to my right and see another hunter with a crossbow in hand. I knew he was trespassing. I waited until he was out of sight and I scurried down the tree and headed in that direction. I get to the last place I saw him and started glassing. Spotted him! He was sitting (almost laying down) trying to hide from me. I walk over and he takes off his mask. He said, "I just saw the biggest buck of my life." He held up his hand to show me how bad he was shaking. He's a teenager...about 15 or so. I asked him if he had permission and he feeds me some BS. Well, I finally get the truth out of him and politely told him he was not supposed to be here. I got his name and then he was on his way.

Evening hunt. I blew a perfectly good opportunity to whack a nanny at 20 yards. I waited too long to draw and she spotted me. Darkness was coming and I was getting my things together. I hear two gunshots and two men talking afterwards. I can't be certain but I think they capped a couple deer. Moments later, I heard them drive off.

On the way home. Some maniac tries running me off the road all the while having on her high beams. Trying to pass me in curves and riding right on my bumper. I nosedived a couple times hoping she would eat bumper. I finally get to a point to pull over and she drives on by blinding every other fellow motorist on the way. I reported her to the cops....let's hope they get her.

Anyway....its been a hell of a day. Thank God that I'm home and still alive. Football and some jack and coke and this day is history.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Not quite the opening day I imagined...

LOL!! Congrats on an Awesome Hunt!!![X(]
Old 10-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haha Im sorry man...but is it OK to say I was laughing the whole time reading your post??? LOL
Old 10-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finch---takes some time to get it right the first few days...do not stress! I banged my treestand a few times and clinked here and there...just takes some time to warm up each year...best of luck to you.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

That sounds like a Finch day.

Touch luck bud, there will be better days.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Was it fun at least getting out in the woods? You will be even more ready the next time.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

SO it was a good day....right?[&:]
Old 10-04-2008, 07:10 PM

I forgot to mention after confronting the trespasser....I decided to continue hunting. So, that was my third time climbing up a tree this morning. I did see three deer after that but they were out of range.

I know fellas...opening days are the worst.[:@] I forget the little things about my routine. I'm back on track now. Wish me luck.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:32 PM

Good stuff Finch, I must admit your story put a smile on my face also but I am glad you are ok too.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Finch

Well, its been a tough day. I'm going to try and keep this short.

Walking in this morning I swear I scared away every deer in the county. They were bedded right where I needed to be. Got to my "stand" this morning and had a hard time distinguishing which tree was actually the one I needed to be in. I made it up about 25 feet and realized I was in the wrong tree. Got down and finally found my tree. It was just breaking daylight. I haven't made that mistake....in years.[&:] That's what I get for hunting in some many poplars.

Couple hours later, I saw a doe about 70 yards out and she was spooked. Nothing I did. Moments later...I look to my right and see another hunter with a crossbow in hand. I knew he was trespassing. I waited until he was out of sight and I scurried down the tree and headed in that direction. I get to the last place I saw him and started glassing. Spotted him! He was sitting (almost laying down) trying to hide from me. I walk over and he takes off his mask. He said, "I just saw the biggest buck of my life." He held up his hand to show me how bad he was shaking. He's a teenager...about 15 or so. I asked him if he had permission and he feeds me some BS. Well, I finally get the truth out of him and politely told him he was not supposed to be here. I got his name and then he was on his way.

Evening hunt. I blew a perfectly good opportunity to whack a nanny at 20 yards. I waited too long to draw and she spotted me. Darkness was coming and I was getting my things together. I hear two gunshots and two men talking afterwards. I can't be certain but I think they capped a couple deer. Moments later, I heard them drive off.

On the way home. Some maniac tries running me off the road all the while having on her high beams. Trying to pass me in curves and riding right on my bumper. I nosedived a couple times hoping she would eat bumper. I finally get to a point to pull over and she drives on by blinding every other fellow motorist on the way. I reported her to the cops....let's hope they get her.

Anyway....its been a hell of a day. Thank God that I'm home and still alive. Football and some jack and coke and this day is history.
Ah- please don't think that crossbowers are like that! Cause I can rest assure you we are not!

Quick Reply: Not quite the opening day I imagined...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.