HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   broadhead choice help needed please! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/266366-broadhead-choice-help-needed-please.html)

psearcher4life 10-04-2008 01:59 PM

broadhead choice help needed please!

Well I've got a choice to make, and I'd like your help. Shot Muzzy 4 blade heads for years, but I had some penetration issues, and poor blood trails. Went out and bought the new MX4 heads, and some of the G5 Strikers. Both shoot awesome for me, but I've never actually hunted with either of these 2 heads. Opening day is in 2 weeks for me. Which of these 2 heads would you tip your hunting arrows with if it were you?

ryncam16 10-04-2008 02:04 PM

RE: broadhead choice help needed please!

honestly id go with rage. haha but between these two id go with the muzzys

Tribal 10-04-2008 02:05 PM

Was it penetration and blood issues even with good shot placement? I can't see that happening but if they were marginal hits what do you expect. I couldn't get the 4 blade heads to fly for me. I feel either will do the job.

psearcher4life 10-04-2008 02:12 PM

Yes they were on good hits, last buck I shot the broadhead got stopped by nothing more than the hide on the exiting side of the deer. Couldn't even push the broadhed thru when I recovered the deer...blades just seemed too dull to get through it. Another buck was ashot rightin the boiler room, and we found no blood trail whatsoever. Couldn't have made a better shot, killed the deer but no blood on the ground, and no pass thru. Bought the Strikers cause I heard the blades were super sharp, but I always have relied on Muzzy's. Hoping the new blades are sharper that the old Muzzy's were.

Shawn Perkins 10-04-2008 02:13 PM

i just switched to muzzys, and i dont like them. i shot a doe about 15 yds away, and hit her perfect. the arrow went through her and stuck in the ground about 3 inches. (good penetration)

buttt, basically no blood trail, and, it took her forever to go down all the way. she ran about 40 yds, and layed down. stood up. layed down. stood up...layd down. i ended up having to shoot her again, that time it took her out for good.

Spearchucker 10-04-2008 02:13 PM

If they both shoot well with your setup, then either one should be fine. a well placed shot will be the best way for a good quick kill, and good blood trail, and is more important than the tip on the end.

Both these Broad heads have 1-1/8th" cutting Diameter, so I'd suggest the mx4, simply because you have the extra blade...one more cut should equal more blood...either one will perform just fine, as long as the shot is good, and neither one will make up for a badly placed shot.

psearcher4life 10-04-2008 06:08 PM

Any other thoughts? Shawn, your experience is one I've had in the past...and it's things like that that make me leary of the Muzzy's.

virginiashadow 10-04-2008 06:11 PM

The last 5 deer I have arrowed in the last 2 years, I have arrowed with Muzzys 3 blade and MX-3's. The average length of recovery after the shot has been around 30-40 yards.

jjlemm001 10-04-2008 06:13 PM

Have you looked at the muzzy MX3? I shot those and like them alot. I have shot the MX4 also and like them too.

psearcher4life 10-04-2008 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Spearchucker

If they both shoot well with your setup, then either one should be fine. a well placed shot will be the best way for a good quick kill, and good blood trail, and is more important than the tip on the end.

Both these Broad heads have 1-1/8th" cutting Diameter, so I'd suggest the mx4, simply because you have the extra blade...one more cut should equal more blood...either one will perform just fine, as long as the shot is good, and neither one will make up for a badly placed shot.
If the blades aren't sharp...and I mean scary sharp the bleeding isn't going to be good. I've seen plenty of perfectly shot deer not leave squat for blood trail even with a pass thru when the blades weren't as sharp as they could/should be. The deer died, but tracking was difficult without a decent blood trail.

elkhuntinut 10-04-2008 07:13 PM

I shot Muzzy's myself and they are a great broadhead. However my G5 Strikers fly just like my field points and I would practice out to 50 yards.

Spearchucker 10-05-2008 06:02 AM

ORIGINAL: psearcher4life

ORIGINAL: Spearchucker

If the blades aren't sharp...and I mean scary sharp the bleeding isn't going to be good. I've seen plenty of perfectly shot deer not leave squat for blood trail even with a pass thru when the blades weren't as sharp as they could/should be. The deer died, but tracking was difficult without a decent blood trail.
100% in agreement there....obviously I was assuming since both are brand new, they are both equally as sharp, but that's not always the case, and I always feel each broad head, and choose the sharpest based on feel.

5 shot 10-05-2008 06:24 AM

shoot both. They are both great heads and I would be hard pressed to choose myself.

Rhody Hunter 10-05-2008 06:27 AM

Either one will be finewith new blades and good shot placement

WV Hunter 10-05-2008 06:40 AM

I used muzzy's for years with excellent results...and I'm sure the G5's would be good as well. I now use Magnus Stingers with great results as well. Of the dozens of deer I've shot with a bow - ALL have left decent blood trails if I hit them where I'm supposed to, regardless of the head. I know alot of guys that shoot Muzzy's and haven't heard very many people talk about penetration issues or bloodtrail issues on solid hits with Muzzy's. Don't know anyone personally that shoots the G5's, so I can't comment there.