Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First deer!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:29 AM
GTD
Spike

Default RE: First deer!

ORIGINAL: Planter

I always like to hear how your first field dressing went. Did you retch and get dry heaves. Were you enveloped in the steam of a hot gut pile?? How did you do on the butt?

If you have not taken her to the butcher yet you should clean her up a bit and have someone take a pic with you in it. Good pictures will make your trophy last forever. Maybe send the hide out to get tanned. Will cost about $30.00 but worth every penny. I send mine to WB Place but off hand I forget where they are.
I did ok with the field dressing I used a Wyoming knife on the gut and most of the cutting. The cut around the anis was not that bad. I could see it being worse if it was a gut shot or hit the blather. I did forget my latex gloves at home, so my hands where a bloody mess. I did not get a picture of myself and yes she is already being butchered.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Congrats on your First.

Each Kill is a chance to learn. This is your First, and I'm sure you learnt something from taking this one. And Like someone else mentioned, it will be very good eating.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: GTD

I do realize that, but shewas right in front of me andI had no other shot.
[quote]
Hey bud, congratulations on your first deer. That is an awesome feat. Not tryin to rain on your parade or take anything away from your deer, but be careful with shots like that, they are not high percentage. Sometimes if you don't have the right shot angle it is best to just wait for the animal to turn or to pass up the deer altogether. I don't want to come off like i am preaching to you, just don't want to see you lose a big buckby taking a very marginal shot. Best of luck to you this season bud, you have the bug now and there is NO CURE.

Shane
Old 10-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your first, everything worked out so you should be proud. I remember my first deer i was shaking like a leaf afterwords, i mean shaking! Congrats again!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 AM
GTD
Spike

[quote]ORIGINAL: sr77

[quote]ORIGINAL: GTD

I do realize that, but shewas right in front of me andI had no other shot.
Hey bud, congratulations on your first deer. That is an awesome feat. Not tryin to rain on your parade or take anything away from your deer, but be careful with shots like that, they are not high percentage. Sometimes if you don't have the right shot angle it is best to just wait for the animal to turn or to pass up the deer altogether. I don't want to come off like i am preaching to you, just don't want to see you lose a big buckby taking a very marginal shot. Best of luck to you this season bud, you have the bug now and there is NO CURE.

Shane
I’m always open to constructive criticism, like I said I am new at this, so any advice would be appreciated. The last thing I want to do is wound a deer and not be able to recover it. If a similar situation comes up in the future I will be ready to make a better decision.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 AM
GTD
Spike

This is the only pic I have showing the exit wound.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats GTD !

ORIGINAL: GTD

Thanks guys! This is all new to me, I didn’t grow up hunting, I’m 40 now, and this is my third season, first season bow hunting. Everything I have learned came from other hunters and reading a lot. I wish I had taken this up twenty years ago.
I just started last year at 45 and feel the same way

Old 10-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 10-04-2008, 02:18 PM

Awesome, first deer. I hope i get a chance 7th-8th. Cant wait!