Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Highs and lows of bowhunting >

Highs and lows of bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Highs and lows of bowhunting

Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Highs and lows of bowhunting

Looks like a tenderloin hit....too bad you weren't in a stand. I'd say the deer lives.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Unless you got the artery, he probably is still alive. But I would make damn sure, as I know you will that he is dead.

Good luck tomorrow, I'm looking forward to hearing an update.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

How high are you off the ground there man ? I was just curious. The one thing I noticed is his tail. It keeps flopping up and down, compared to the other deer that ran away. You MAY, and I mean MAY of caught the top of the right lung on the exit hole. I can barely catch a glimpse of that arrow when he turns.

I don't know how many deer you taken with a bow, or how much experience you have, but taking a shot at an alert deer like that, while they are looking at you, is a tough shot to pull off. He knew something was wrong, and that didn't help you when you released the arrow. No bud, I ain't lecturing you, because everybody has had this happen before. But a deer's body language is important when getting ready to take that shot. Alert deer are tough, that's all there is to it.

Keep us posted, I'm curious to hear what happens. Best of luck to you, I know how you feel! Keep your chin up and keep hunting!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm gonna go against the grain. I think that deer is alive, well and will be until he gets shot, again, or dies of other causes.

I have to agree that the hit was above the spine.

But you still have to go out and look like he is dead in the morning.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Spike

Either way, if you find him or not just learn from it. I have had an expeience like yours, it took me about 5 hours to find the deer I shot. My brother, who is an excellent tracker helped me, at one point we were on our hands and knees looking for a pencil lead sized blood drops, it paid off. I found the deer,which happened to be my first bowkill, but I learned alot about tracking, patience, and not giving up. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for all the positive input guys, i appreciate it. I would like to add that i thought he was farther then he really was, as i judged him at 18 or so yards when he was really in the 12-13 yard range. With or without the duck i would have hit him high. The black arrow is a pretty good indicator of where i hit, and the exit hole is about an inch lower the the entry. I will be out in he morning doing all that i can to recover him.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:36 PM

You certainly hit him high, man. I have no advice to offer as far as whether he is dead or not. I don't have that much experiance to start telling you what to do.

All I can say is, stick with it. Exhaust all your options until youthink you have done all you can do. I know you will.

Good luck
Old 10-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best of luck bud. Just do the best you can. My gut tells me he will live, well at least longer than it will take to find him. Things happen and learn from it. Nice set up there, looks like you were just behind a make shift blind material. Anywhere to get up higher and in a brushed in full ground blind?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

If you click on "watch in high quality" you can see much better, at least on my computer. I think this buck lives ut I still would do some more searching to be sure.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

After studying the video i am going to agree with most of these guys, you didn't hit the fabled "no mans land" you simply hit the buck above the spine. Unless you nicked an artery you are probably SOL on the recovery but stranger things have happened. I wouldn't get to torn up about it, the buck will probably survive and you and the buck both get a good education out of it.

Quick Reply: Highs and lows of bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.