Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Highs and lows of bowhunting >

Highs and lows of bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Highs and lows of bowhunting

Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Highs and lows of bowhunting

dont give up on that deer i think u will find him in the am he was really traveling quick check the 100 yrd circle real good.
what color blood and was the blood the full length of the arrow?
check the master video in slow mo to see if you can see exactly where the arrow hit
and check the opposite side when the deer turns in slow mo for pass threw

Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Siman, that is a dead dee by morning. He has two holes in him. I am sure once you get to last blood and see it in the daylight you will recover him.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I zoomed this thing in and got a multiple repeat of the impact. Simon08 was right. It was hit very high. Here's a zoomed shot and while it looks like there are two fletched ends, it's the lack of frame to frame quality. I could make out clearly where the arrow was protruding as the deer turned. The black arrow was the actual point of impact. When i was young, I shot a buck in almost that same spot with a rifle. He bled out quickly because I hit the artery. Have some faith!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm gonna go against the grain. I think that deer is alive, well and will be until he gets shot, again, or dies of other causes.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

did you see how much that deer ducked
Old 10-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was actually just thinking about this type of hit today and how shooting from a treestand actually offsets the potentially negative effects of a high hit. It does this because the arrow impacts high but cuts through at an angle to potentially hit more surface area of vital organs. A high hit from the ground could be very bad because if you miss hit high, you miss hit high with no salvage as compared to an angled shot from a tree.

Just rambling.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

Yep, and I've seen one do it to me. I didn't realize how much time they had to react if they're looking straight at you when you release andthey see the shot. I just never gave it much thought until I had a doe plain duck my arrow at 25 yards last year.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that is very high and he's gonna live. I could see it well enough to say it wasn't near anything vital, even the exit. You may have hit the top of the shoulder blade, which is why the arrow stopped, but it didn't look to me like it was low enough to kill him. Then again, you may have hit his main artery up there, in which case you'll find him in the morning.

In your defense, he did duck it a bit, altho I think you still would have hit him high. That deer was on alert and although I know you might not want to hear this, it might have been a better choice to pass on him under those circumstances. That's alot easier for me to say sitting here at my desk than it would be sitting in the stand over him, I know.

This is just my .02 and I don't mean to criticize. I have to take those things into consideration before I shoot because my bow is old, slow and loud. If the deer is alert, I don't feel sure enough to shoot.

I do hope I'm wrong and I hope you find him, but I honestly wouldn't worry too much. I really feel he'll be fine.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

Yes, after impact like 99% of all other deer.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the black arrow above is where you hit, most likely are above the spine - shot thru the backstraps.
Probably live.

Steve

Quick Reply: Highs and lows of bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.