Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer movement according to moon phase >

Deer movement according to moon phase

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer movement according to moon phase

Old 10-02-2008, 02:30 PM

Default RE: Deer movement according to moon phase

I have posted my thoughts, theories, and practice a few times. It is a lot to type, so if you are interested you can check posts by me in my profile. I do put a whole lot of weight on moon position, much like Jeff Murry wrote about as someone mentioned above. You can really get into some good daytime hunts if you take the time to discern where deer will be during differentmovement times. In other words, for mid day transits, sit on a field edge, mid-day, far away from bedding areas and you will probably be dissappointed. Sit on some acorns, or browselike honeysuckle close to beds in good cover and you might be suprised at the deer on their feet.

Davidmil mentioned backing off his rut dates cause of the full moon. I am the opposite...a full moon (actually, the midday moon transits associated with the full moon) during the rut is my favorite, bar none. I will be somewhere in a tree during the middle of the day during that full moon period, even if I have to travel to a new state to get a new tag and hunt public ground somewhere. I hunt all day nearly every day for the first 3 weeks of November anyways, but I can tell you without a doubt, the most exciting huntsI have had were mid-day during the full moon.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Spike

Good article on the subject

http://www.buckhuntersblog.com/tactics/tips-for-deer-hunting-the-moon-phases
Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I'd sooner hunt deer by moon position than I would moon phase.

It's not rocket science to know that on a full moon, the night is bright and the deer not only are safe by night, they can see as well. Up all night, sleep all day...good song by the way.
Full moon, waxing gibbus, waning crescent and the whole 9 are moon phases...If you hunt by moon position then you would hunitng at night based upon the moon's position in the sky as that what is referred to as moon position. I believe that is also referred to as illegal
No dung Sherlock, I know what moon phases are but you forget, moon underfoot now are you not? Moon position has more pull on whitetail movement than does it's phases. Don't believe me, ask any real farmer howwhat his cattle do, you can learn a lot. Just because it's day here doesn't mean the moon is gone. Duh?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Rob...moon position is more important. If you can hunt when the sun and moon are both in the sky, it is a money shot. I plan my hunts by it.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

I am a big believer that the moon position and phases control movements and the onset of the rut. Charles Alsheimer has more recorded data on this subject than anyone else, if I am corrected.

Personally I have used the times and phases as to when and if I hunt, with good sightings and success. We started our hunt 3 days after the full moon and I can tell you this...those ahead of us reportedvery little rutting activity. When we were there it seemed to increased to the point where I thought I missed out by leaving Friday. In addition, the weather was warmer than the week before with no cold fronts other than a small rain in the beginning.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

I'd sooner hunt deer by moon position than I would moon phase.

It's not rocket science to know that on a full moon, the night is bright and the deer not only are safe by night, they can see as well. Up all night, sleep all day...good song by the way.
Full moon, waxing gibbus, waning crescent and the whole 9 are moon phases...If you hunt by moon position then you would hunitng at night based upon the moon's position in the sky as that what is referred to as moon position. I believe that is also referred to as illegal
No dung Sherlock, I know what moon phases are but you forget, moon underfoot now are you not? Moon position has more pull on whitetail movement than does it's phases. Don't believe me, ask any real farmer how what his cattle do, you can learn a lot. Just because it's day here doesn't mean the moon is gone. Duh?
Hmmm, haven't done much reading on the topic of moon position. Could you point me to some studies/articles on the topic so I can relieve my ignorance please sir.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&hs=bpt&sa=X&oi=spell&r esnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Moon+Position ing+and+whitetail+movement&spell=1
Old 10-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

although most of those say position, if you read the articles the speak of moon phase. If you could direct me to some studies that have helped you form your opinion it would be greatly appreciated