Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your area/woods capable of? >

What's your area/woods capable of?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your area/woods capable of?

Old 10-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's your area/woods capable of?

well in the last 2 years the guy on the prop next to mine took a 208" non typ and a 175" typ i have seen many 130-160 on my prop so i would say yes
Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

They're probably here.....and they'r ehunted here all season....and then some. They'r ealso hunted at night, here.

Are they here (P&Y caliber animals)? Yeah. Are they a distinct possibility for those hunting them, legally? I know of ONE who's taken a P&Y caliber deer in my parts...who hunts, legally. I know of a couple more that were shot by guys who took too many bucks, that year.

If a man doesn't follow the buck limit rule.....what other rule might he be willing to break?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have a few P&Y bucks around, but no B&C at all. This is simply because we lack the food/crops, age, and genetics. The things you must have to produce BIG bucks.[:@]
Old 10-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have some factors that go against me in my effort to kill large bucks.....no crop fields, average genetics, and smaller bucks are killed therefore not allowing them to grow to their potential. I have one thing working on my side.....large tracts of woods where bucks can hide and grow.....now here is the hard part, finding that needle in a haystack.....it can be done, but it is very difficult.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. absolutely
2. there are at least 2 easy P&Y qualifiers on our farms
3. They could reach B&C due to nutrition and genetics, but they just don't get the age on them due to surrounding hunting pressure. 3.5 is fairly rare and older is our "white buffalo".
Old 10-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

My area is very capable of producing P&Y and sometimes B&C. I have shot and seen many good P&Y bucks. I have also had some really close calls with B&C bucksbut havent closed the deal just yet. The problems that persist in my area would be hunting access along with Cars!! Cars kill good bucks every year, it sucks!!! Granted some areas I hunt to many people blast the first thing they see, but more and more people are catching on to management techniques, We also have thick woods where bucks can hide there entire life with out being seen.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

My woods is 100% capable of producing world class animals. Ive never seen a b&c buck but have seen photos of guys, that I know very well, with some real smashers. I have seen quite a few p&y's floatin around, 2 so far this year that are on my hit list. We would get more monsters but the hunter density is way to high and there is zero management going on. If AR's ever came or even an earn a buck, i think you would see my part of NY putting up some very impressive numbers.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

1. Capable of producing P&Y and B&C class bucks?

Absolutely, we have food, and good genes around here.

2. Are there any around?

P&Y yes. B&C maybe, but if they are I have not spied one.

3. Why not?

If there are B&C bucks they are ultra-reclusive and I just haven't figured out how to find them yet, let alone hunt them.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:23 PM

1. Yes

2. 2 that i have seen.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

We've got P&Y caliber bucks on our property and we've harvested a few of them over the last few years (None with a bow). We've taken a couple in the mid to low 140's and one around 135". I've seen a few more that we haven't been able to close the deal on. As for B&C, that's another story. I think the potential is there for one to perhaps grow that big, get that old, etc. but the odds are slim. I was watching Bass Pro Shops "King of Bucks" just this morning and they gave a statistic that only 1 in 36000 bucks will grow his antlers to 150". Now I don't know how they come up with that stat, but I'm sure that 170" is a much worse statistic. Just last year, I know of two different bucks that were shot within approx 15 miles of my property that grossed over the B&C minimum, so there could be one roaming around my property.

Quick Reply: What's your area/woods capable of?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.