Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead Shattering bone. >

Broadhead Shattering bone.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Shattering bone.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead Shattering bone.

I have never shattered any bones except for ribs and I cut through the far shoulder joint a couple of times but not too much "bone shattering".

My father shot a mule deer buck several years ago with a Wasp 85gr Hammer and it went through the near humorous (sp? front leg upper big bone) and passed through no problem. Just completely cut/tore/broke through that bone. However, you have to also remember that deer bone density will change immensely depending on their feed. One example is the deer from southern Ohio often have such brittle bones that you cannot even hang them from the pelvis as it will just break. However, the deer from high ag areas have no problem hanging that way. Just a thought.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've punched through one shoulder blade before, never 2. I don't remember ever hitting one in the "socket" with a bow, so I can't comment on that.I've had great and not so great penetration issues with a number of BH's, thats why I switch brands often. Always looking for something new and great I guess.[&:]I agree with Rob about Muzzy's not being what they once were. Still a good buy for the money, but not the same quality they were 15-20 years ago.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Now he's shot through a hip bone.

Gotta love the internet!
To whom are you referring to Jeff?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:04 AM

whew, it's getting a little hairy in here.

i snapped an off-side shoulder onmy first deer with a bow, only pulling like 53#, i was surprised. 125 gr. Snuffer's i believe is what it was. actually one of the cheaper BH's. i was impressed, bent the tip up enough that it's a BH for woodchucks now.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you look at some of the large traditional sites, you can find doz's of pics of bone penetrated by broadheads with their setups - mainly 2 bladed.
Not just the sholder blades either - severed spines and leg bones.
The heavy shoulder socket is probably the hardest and I do not recall seeing a pic of that being done.
Just because some have not seen it, does not make it impossible or even rare.
Never been hit by a speeding car, but have no doubt it will hurt.

Steve
Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We'll have a blast at the beach, Jim.....and we don't have to worry about getting harpooned.
Even for you that might set a new standard for low. I think today you could sit on the curb and dangle your feet.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. I'd expect this during the off-season.

Who said they shot through a hip-bone?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Here's one I took 8-9 years ago that has a shattered bone. Muzzy 100 gr 3-blade. Through the chest, out the armpit on the opposite side, into and through the far leg above the elbow, busting the bone in half,and out.The arrow went through except the last 8" or so, but came out after he stumbled away. You can see his leg is a little "dangly"...that would be the exit wound. The bent arrow is on the porch.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 AM

Put a Magnus Stinger throught the off-side shoulder blade of a 200 lb sow, that's about it. Bow was a 58 lb Tomkat, 2/3 of the arrow passed through.

Hit a buck low in the on side shoulder last year with a Stinger Buzzcut, it stopped dead on the bone. Buck walked away with the arrow dangling, got a pic of him on my trailcam 3 weeks later, he seemed fine. I heard that one go "crack" on the impact, and I mean it stopped dead. I upped my arrow weight this year and turned my bow up. I also learned to avoid that bone.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I blew through the blade and busted the opposite side femur on a doe (turned out to be a BB) that was being followed by 3 racked bucks once. Mildly hard quarter-to, but being a smaller deer and feeling confident in the shot, I took it. She(he) was able to turn around and travel 18 yds before being DEAD!!!!

My buddy's spike he shot saturday was a complete through and through break on the "humerus" bone, to the extent that we could have made a few small cuts of flesh and removed the leg completely.

Quick Reply: Broadhead Shattering bone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.