Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shootin does?

Old 10-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Spike

Default Shootin does?

Hey, i got a question and i would love someimput. This summer me and my buddy did nothing butscout, get new properties, hang stands andtake the ol' spotting scope out. We were fortunate enough to find a few good bucks and were able to watch them all summer. We have a few good stands hung ateach spot. My question is do you guys think it is a bad idea to shoot does out of those stands. Ive heard from some people that it can scare a buck out of the area completely and then ive heardfrom other people it wont bother them at all. whats your take?
Old 10-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shootin does?

It won't help im sure. Especially if the buck frequents that area a lot. You may want to try and set up a different stand to shoot your does out of if possible.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

I personally don't think it matters... I have harvested two large bucks in the evening, after deer were taken in the morning from the same stand.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think it matters much either. I wouldn't put a gut pile under my stand location (obviously)
Old 10-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think it would matter if you don't overhunt it.Personally, if I know a big buck is frequenting the area I'm holding off on the does until I get the buck. That's just me though. Look at it this way, while you're drawing down on a doe, ol' antler candy could be walking up your six and you wouldn't know it until it was too late.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say it won't have too much of an effect simply because we've taken does from a stand and then turned around a week later and taken a nice buck at the same place.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gut piles don't bother deer I saw that somewhere and it was credible. I would just be careful of scent that is the only thing that would for sure clear out a big buck. Don't do figure eights around your area. If hes real big and hes in the area I personally would be holding out on him. But now is a good time to take does before the rut.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:14 AM

Nothing wrong with taking a doe out of it unless your not seeing very many in the area. Like tribal said, do it before the rut and fill the freezer.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two seasons ago (shotgun), I took a doe and (less than an hour later) took a buck less than 50 yards away. I don't think it matters that much.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

The only way I wouldn't shoot a doe is if the big boy is standing out there too. Otherwise the doe goes down.

Quick Reply: Shootin does?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.