HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Binos question..... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/265872-binos-question.html)

GMMAT 10-01-2008 01:31 PM

Binos question.....

My thread about BB's made me ponder this.....

Ohter than the "cost" issue....can anyone give me ONE good reason why you WOULDN'T want to have binos on every hunt?

Jgrund07/OH 10-01-2008 01:36 PM

RE: Binos question.....

I dont think there is another reason. I never go into the woods without them.

NavyDeerHunter 10-01-2008 01:38 PM

IF cost were an issue, I'd do without something else in my kit to ensure that I had binos. Not sure that I've ever hunted without them.

TEmbry 10-01-2008 01:39 PM

If I dont have the intentions of shooting a doe, I really have little to no need for them whatsoever. In the woods, I can see fine at the distances available without the use of glass....plus we almost always film our hunts, and camcorders have 20x zoom.

The only reason I see needing them is, like you said distinguishing bbs from slickheads.

That being said, I plan on picking up a decent but somewhat compact set of glass this winter.

GMMAT 10-01-2008 01:43 PM

Even still, T....wouldn't you find it an advantage if you could glass an approaching buck to see if he was something you needed to get ready for? I suppose you could easily say that you get ready for each approaching buck......but then I'd ask if you wouldn't find them useful to determine the sex of an approaching deer, earlier.

For the life of me....I can't figure out a reason NOT to use them....other than the cost issue, for many.

NCRemington700 10-01-2008 01:47 PM

For me, the best time for the binosis when a deer comes in right there at dark. How many people have shot a BB or a small spike right at dark because they couldn't distinguish in the low light?

That being said, mine always come with me.

Rick James 10-01-2008 01:48 PM

I don't know what the terrain you guys hunt is like, but I can't tell you how many times I have been in thick stuff and seen deer through the binocs at less than 50 yards. These are deer that I would have never known were there otherwise. Happens to me all the time.

GMMAT 10-01-2008 01:52 PM

When I hunt.....I use my "down" time to do all sorts of things. The spot I'm going to tonight.....I spotted a buck trail there from stand Saturday.....through my binos. I noticed a line of rubbed trees that wasn't clear with the naked eye (well....not my almost 44 yr old eyes;)).

I also was glassing the fence line last night.....looking for places in the fence where they might be crossing. Sorta scouting from stand.

Also....heck...I loof for sheds when I'm on stand....FROM stand....lol.

I hear ya RJ.....I have spotted deer through the binos that I wouldn't have seen, otherwise. I also use them to identify animals from afar....that maybe aren't even deer.

mauser06 10-01-2008 02:00 PM

definently use mine a lot more than i thought i would...spot movement across the ditch 100yds away..what is it?? squirrel? turkey? deer? yote?

theres a deer coming...buck? doe? legal buck? buck i am interested in??

also keeps me busy and awake and alert...i find it entertaining to watch squirrels and chipmunks in the binocs...just neat little creatures....

i need to invest in a nice more compact pair....something with a good FOV, but nothing HUGE either...

mobow 10-01-2008 02:03 PM

There are people out there that simply don't care if they shoot a BB or not......They see deer, they shoot deer. For them, there is no reason to carry them. Well, at least not THAT reason anyway. They are of course good just for glassing....