HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Fall away rest question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/265871-fall-away-rest-question.html)

V8Ranger 10-01-2008 01:31 PM

Fall away rest question

I just got my new bow today and was shooting to get it sighted in and familiar with how it shoots. I have never had a bow with a fall away rest and I noticed it is leaving slight rub marks on the rest. Now the arrow its self does not touch this but it leaving marks. Is this from the fletching? and is this normal?? if not how do I stop this?? The arrows seam to be flying ok.

GMMAT 10-01-2008 01:36 PM

RE: Fall away rest question

You may be able to simply re-orient your cock vane. Be careful you'r enot getting contact with something else (cable?) when you start turning your cock vane orientation.

Good luck.

Dr Andy 10-01-2008 01:57 PM

Not sure what you mean. The arrow does touch the rest as you draw back, and drags across it. Upon release the arrow does not touch the rest. It should drop away in the first 2 inches.

V8Ranger 10-01-2008 02:39 PM

when the rest is down the arrow sits in the small valley and when its pulled back then the arrow sits in the middle of the fork. But the marks are being put on the down position part of the rest but really the arrow doesn't sit where the marks are be made. If my fletching was hitting the rest I would think it would make the arrow fly very funky. I don't know how else to explain my problem if its a problem at all

txjourneyman 10-01-2008 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

It should drop away in the first 2 inches.
I disagree with this. I want my arrow to ride on the rest as long as possible. I want it to drop just before the fletching gets to it. The longerthe arrowis on the rest the longer it will be guided by the rest. I believe this will result in better accuracy and consistancy.

V8Ranger 10-01-2008 04:29 PM

Here are a couple of pic of what my drop away rest looks like. The on pic i pointed out where it is leaving marks.

sclwald 10-01-2008 05:54 PM

Put the odd colored vane up. This makes the two similar colored vanes point at a 45 degree down position. Should fix it. Same thing as mentioned above just different wording. You must be shooting odd colored vane down.

IA Buck Hunter 10-01-2008 06:26 PM

Spray your vanes with some powder foot spray, shoot it, and look at the vanes to see if it rubbed. If sotwist your nock until your cock vane is up and try again.

V8Ranger 10-01-2008 06:28 PM

I will give that a try tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the input. I have never used one of these rest before.

fingerz42 10-01-2008 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

It should drop away in the first 2 inches.
I disagree with this. I want my arrow to ride on the rest as long as possible. I want it to drop just before the fletching gets to it. The longerthe arrowis on the rest the longer it will be guided by the rest. I believe this will result in better accuracy and consistancy.
X2. Truth.