Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nice "Doe"!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nice "Doe"!

In Il they techically don't make a "legal" distinction between a doe and a BB. Antlerless is anything with less than a 3" antler, no fork. Until last year I wasn't really sure what to look for even at archery distances. I passed on several last year and observed them. Now I can differentiate between the two (I think)
Old 10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was in line at the meat processor last year and the guys behind me came up to the truck to look at my buck. I talked with them awhile and they said they shot 2 "does". I walked back to their truck to look and they were at least half right. I spotted the little nubs on one right away, but decided against correcting them. Not sure if the 2 college girls working for the Conservation Dept. told them or not, I should have stayed around to find out
Old 10-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

The first buck I ever shot was a doe! At least I thought it was a doe until I walked up to it and seen 2 little nubs.[:'(]Of course it was with a rifle and I was 12.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:17 PM

I was hunting with my best buddy on his farm last fall, and he calls me on the radio right at dark and says he just shot 2 does. Ok....so we start tracking a while later....but became confused because the 2 deer seemed to have taken the same exit path. So we backed out till morning.

After an hour or so of tracking, we found both of them....Now.....this is his farm, and I respect all rules he sets. Mature bucks and does only....Any age doe is fine.....doe fawn, yearling, mature....it doesn't matter, just shoot the does......And, he is pretty adamant about that. Yeah, both of his "does" turned out to be button bucks....He was PISSED at himself, and I nearly died of laughter. He also used to give me some crap for carrying binos to the woods.......Something he now does religiously.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot a couple w/ the gun that I thought were doe... Can't beat myself up over it..

Old 10-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yup, just happened last week. My buddy told me he had shot a doe to get his EAB in NJ. As we were downloading pics of his buck I saw some pics of the "doe" and downloaded them for him. Once I blew them up I could see the "doe" had 1 inch buttons on its head.

I gave him a hard time, but all in fun. I can't blame him because he's got limited time to hunt NJ and you have to fill that EAB tag to get your buck tag. It's a catch 22.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:58 PM

actually it happened to me and my dad last night. he said he wacked a medium doe but it turned out to be a bb. no biggie, it was still a fun night
Old 10-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

My cousin took his son out opening day of gun last year and some does came in. He had is gun up and ready then POW! His son shoots at the doe. My cousin asks why the heck he shot and his sonsaid that the one had spikes. Come to find out none of them did and he missed. Little guy just had buck fever
Old 10-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took a BB I thought was a doe many moons ago.Poor identification and an overactive release.I sure would rather have avoided it but no big deal and he ate just fine.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM

The doe I shot last night I swore up and down had buttons....I argued with my cameraman for almost a minutes.

he has buttons Im NOT shooting..

dude, it doesnt have buttons...

you are postive?

lol so, uh, I was wrong, no buttons.[8D] Hard to tell bare eyes, he had 20x zoom on the camcorder, what a cheat.