HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Aftershock BH's (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/265832-aftershock-bhs.html)

buttonbuckmaster 10-01-2008 09:02 AM

Aftershock BH's

Who has used them? I bought some to try out thist year and shot them. Fly great and have a 2 3/4" diameter, sounds great right? Here's my "problem". When I assmebled the heads, the set screws that holds the blades to ferrule are tight, but the blades seem to have ALOT of play/movement in the design. Is this normal? I liked the idea of the big diameter, but with my luck I'll break both blades off on entry. Any suggestions or experience with them?

Tim Boone 10-01-2008 05:34 PM

RE: Aftershock BH's

I love 'em. Don't worry about the blades being loose.Massive trauma.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-01-2008 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Tim Boone

I have a question. According to what I'm seeing in that picture, the blades don't start to open until the broadhead is in up to those triggers right?

If that's the case then the broadhead is already in the hide several inches before it even begins to open right?

Is the entrance wound nothing more than a puncture wound?

Carpmaster 10-01-2008 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I have a question. According to what I'm seeing in that picture, the blades don't start to open until the broadhead is in up to those triggers right?

If that's the case then the broadhead is already in the hide several inches before it even begins to open right?

Looks that way rob...I do not see how it would work any other way..

Tim Boone 10-01-2008 06:34 PM

"If that's the case then the broadhead is already in the hide several inches before it even begins to open right?

Is the entrance wound nothing more than a puncture wound? "

Pretty much that way.They don't lose any energy on impact trying to open up.5 for 6 on total pass throughs with gaping exit wounds.The other one broke the opposite shoulder on a quartering away shot .The arrow existed 16" after itshattered its shoulder.They work great if you don't take any stupid shots.I think rocky mountian gators work the same way.You don't get any deflection from a quartering shot like other mechanicals.I know there will come a day when something goes wrong,but it happens with fixed blades too.Some people think they can bust bones everytime because they shoot fixed blades.It's just not the case.Proper shot selection is the key.A 2 3/4 channel wound in the right place does wonders.

densfbs 10-01-2008 06:53 PM

shot After Shock's last year with pretty good success. The entry hole is nothing compaired to the Rage but the exit hole was pretty massive.

Virginia Archer 10-01-2008 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Ok to answer Buttonbucks Question....I've been shooting them for the last 4 years, also i'm one of the original Prostaff for them and still shoot them......Some of them do have alittle Play in the blades...no biggy. The second the Blades won't Break unless they are bent almost in half, which is very unlikely.

Now to Robs Questions... they do penatrate before opening but they open inside of the chest cavity which from hide to inside the cavity is approx. 1 inch sothey basically open just inside the chest. The Trip levers catch the hide and the forward momentum opens them. 2nd- The entrance hole yes is small but if you look closely at the picture provided the Trip levers are also sharpened to help give alittle more slice on entering. The entrance hole is usually about 3/4 of a Inch to 1 inch. There are 3 Sizes of Hypershocks.....the 125 Gr. (Gold Head)which is above which has the 2 3/4 inch cut(after open).......The 100 Gr.(Red Head) which has a 2 inch cut(after open)......and the 80 Gr.(Green Head)Which has a 1 3/8 inch cut(after open) But all have the same size trip levers which means the same size entrance hole for all!

Hope this helps.. Check out the site and look at what kind of damage they do! 50% of the time if you shoot and hit in the lungs/heart area they drop within 50 yard...sometimes in sight. But you know how everyone always hits the right spot so it has to be the broadheads fault(LOL).

www.aftershockarchery.com

Jack