HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is it possible to be too close???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/265820-possible-too-close.html)

SD_Gobbler 10-01-2008 08:20 AM

Is it possible to be too close????

I had a doe come in literally right under my stand last night. Im in a 15ft ladder stand and she honestly walked between the ladder and the tree. I let her step out some and then she froze like she knew she was being watched. She was about 5yds from my tree when I took the shot. My arrow went right under her. I had my pin on the perfect spot. Im not sure how it went under her. That brings me to my question....is it possible to be too close and it would cause you to have to adjust your aiming point? Im relatively new to bowhunting so Im just curious. Hope no one bashes me for asking. Thanks!!!! Hope everyone has a great season!

NavyDeerHunter 10-01-2008 08:24 AM

RE: Is it possible to be too close????

You MUST practice this shot...and all other situations that you may run into for that matter. No, you're not too close...I have killed a deer right below me before, but the shot does change and it requires practice.

BUCKMARK 10-01-2008 08:30 AM

It's hard to bend enoughto get your form right when there that close. Better to let them get out a little bit to help get a better set-up. Same thing happened a few years back, she walked circles around my standstopping to nibble and taking care of of her duties. Let her start to walk away, made a sound to get her to stop and turn and end of story, perfect 15 yard shot slighty quartering away.

Crowkilla 10-01-2008 08:33 AM

I've had the same thing happen to me. I just started bowhunting last year. Several times (3 times out of one of my stands)last year I had deer come directly underneath me. Each time I just sat there like a scared little girl and never even drew cause I thought they'd either hear thearrow drawn across the restor see me.

This year I have set up all of my stands at least 15 yards away from where I expect them to come. But I have practiced the "underneath" shotfor the chance that one does sneak upunderneath me.

GMMAT 10-01-2008 08:35 AM

If you'll stop and think about the path you wanted your arrow to take......and what it could POSSIBLY take out on its path.....IF your shot was perfect......you'd realize that the margin for error on this shot is not great.

5yds isn't a terrible angle when you're only 15' up. But like the others....I'd ask if you'd practiced that shot.

TeeJay 10-01-2008 08:36 AM

I have killed several deer, 1 turkey countless tree rat and a handfull of grouse/pheasent with a straight down shot. I will take it everytime!

rybohunter 10-01-2008 09:51 AM

When shooting tight angled shots you NEED to practice and know where your arrow is hitting. A lot of it is due toindividual setups.

hunter25 10-01-2008 10:04 AM

Definitely not a stupid question as we all get this type of opportunity at one time or another.

I've always been told to bend at the waist...just what you want to hear and try to remember at the moment of truth, huh? I do practice this type of close shot, but probably not as much as I should. Probably a good idea to let the deer get out away from your stand position as your odds will increase dramatically for that lethal double lung shot.

Sounds like you're in a good spot though!

OHbowhntr 10-01-2008 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

You MUST practice this shot...and all other situations that you may run into for that matter.
No, you're not too close...I have killed a deer right below me before, but the shot does change and it requires practice.
+1 NDH!!!

YES, you can be too close, especially on the ground, I've set-up a couple times and realized I was too close when I had a 6-pt walk right by me at not 3 yds away. Or when I set up and had a 115-ish 9-pt 6yds from me browsing. But those are times that are certainly very thrilling as well!!!

SD_Gobbler 10-01-2008 10:42 AM

I have practiced this shot. It is part of my normal "practice routine." It may have been due to how I was positioned in the stand, im not sure, that is why i asked for a little help.I just know I made a clean miss.