Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it possible to be too close???? >

Is it possible to be too close????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it possible to be too close????

Old 10-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is it possible to be too close????

just remember, spitting on em and hittin em between the ears is as good a kill

but seriously....practice it...i try to refrain from spine shots...it happens tho...otherwise it's a tight angle as others have said
Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TreednNC

but seriously....practice it...i try to refrain from spine shots...it happens tho...otherwise it's a tight angle as others have said
If a deer is standing directly under your tree why would you purposely try to miss the spine?
At that range you will most likely shoot completely through the deer hitting the heart and all of its plumbing,as I have several times. That is one instantly dead deer.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

i would have let her walk away a little bit as to not put so much pressure on yourself to make a shot like that and to decrease the steep angle. I've only had one deer come in closer than that, he sniffed my tree step and he took two more steps and I let him have it, though it was with a shotgun, it was still hard, so a bow would give you a harder shot to make. You need to practice the shot as well.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

If a deer is standing directly under your tree why would you purposely try to miss the spine?
At that range you will most likely shoot completely through the deer hitting the heart and all of its plumbing,as I have several times. That is one instantly dead deer.
not all are lethal. MOST of us shoot enough draw weight and heavy enough arrows to do such as you have said, but I have killed a deer before with a muzzy in it's spine, also saw pics of deer with arrows sticking out of their back. And one of the biggest reasons is to keep one from bawling. Im as blood thirsty as anybody but dropping one thats not dead and hearing it bawl before I can finish it, or before it dies,makes me feel as bad as if I told my kids there is no Santa and Christmas is canceled. Id just rather take a shot though organs with a bow.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

not all are lethal. MOST of us shoot enough draw weight and heavy enough arrows to do such as you have said, but I have killed a deer before with a muzzy in it's spine, also saw pics of deer with arrows sticking out of their back. And one of the biggest reasons is to keep one from bawling. Im as blood thirsty as anybody but dropping one thats not dead and hearing it bawl before I can finish it, or before it dies,makes me feel as bad as if I told my kids there is no Santa and Christmas is canceled. Id just rather take a shot though organs with a bow.
Your right that bawling is heart breaking.[:@]

But on the other hand thats why I shoot thunderheads, they bust bone like nothing else made. I have no problems driving them through deer,its not the shot I enjoy but when thats whats given I will gladly take it. Many of todays arrows and broad heads are not designed or made for breaking bone. Light arrows and mechanical heads fail miserably on these shots.
I would much rather shoot a relaxed deer directly under me than try to bleat stop a moving deer for abetter shot.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

I have an AWESOME picture of a piebald doe that was taken on our base just last night. Very, very cool looking deer and by the exit hole you can tell that it was a straight down shot. I'm having troubles posting it from work, but I'll send it home and post it tonight after I get done hunting.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

But on the other hand thats why I shoot thunderheads, they bust bone like nothing else made.
Just wondering which bones (specifically)we're talking about that the thunderhead will "bust through" that my mechanical head won't.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:47 PM

Shooting straight down is a low percentage shot. In the 45 years of bowhunting I have seen tons of deer lost with this kind of shot. The ribs have to much angle and deflects the arrow. also the rib'sarethicker the closer to the spine and it's hard to get both lungs. wait till they are 15 to 25 yards from your tree so you can get a good shotto take both lungs. Your not every high so maybe 10 yards you can get both lungs and you will have a bigger target to shoot at.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutly, you should never wait till a deer gets so close you think it is a no brainer becuse to often the shot angle is terrible to get good vital hits, you should take the deer when they are into you comfortable range that you have practiced.