Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Playing the wind on small properties >

Playing the wind on small properties

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Playing the wind on small properties

Old 10-01-2008, 03:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Playing the wind on small properties

For you guys who are religious about playing the wind.....and you hunt small properties....

How often do you have to "bag" a hunt? My first time is.....right now. I got up at 4:30....and thought I had a good spot to go to. Winds are starting in the WSW.....switching to NW by 7AM. I don't have a spot for that. So........I'm gonna watch a little tube....and go back to bed. There's always the afternoon.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Playing the wind on small properties

Wind in AR is coming from the NW at 5 which is perfect for my one stand Hope it shifts for you later today. Altho a good scentlock suit might take the worry out of the wind a little. Today is openning day here and I'll be in my stand in hour and a half! Good Luck!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck to you ark.

I should have a steady NW wind later....and I've got a spot picked out. No worries....as I have some son of a bitching drywall sanding to keep me plenty busy, this morning.

I'm a "moderate" believer in the SL technology (not treally the technology....as I think it's pretty well proven....but the overall effectiveness), but the temps are too warm for that, now.

Anyways....I wish you luck
Old 10-01-2008, 04:04 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

For you guys who are religious about playing the wind.....and you hunt small properties....

How often do you have to "bag" a hunt? My first time is.....right now. I got up at 4:30....and thought I had a good spot to go to. Winds are starting in the WSW.....switching to NW by 7AM. I don't have a spot for that. So........I'm gonna watch a little tube....and go back to bed. There's always the afternoon.
I always try to "play" the wind but when it is not in my favor...I still get out on stand. I still feel like my chances are better (with a bad wind) than staying home. There have been plenty of times that a deer has come to me from downwind. Those are the days you have to trust your scent control. IMO.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don’t bag hunts. If I don’t have a good wind for a particular spot I’ll find one, even if that spot might not be very productive. I don’t have the luxury of bagging a hunt based on a non-ideal wind.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Wuss.... why don't you just say you didn't feel like going hunting.[8D] There's always a spot that's down wind. Go ahead, tell us the truth.... your wife made you a better offer and you decided to bag it for the hunt.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff that sounds to me like a perfect morning to grab the longbow and take a walk in the woods. Find ya a nice tree trunkwith some good back cover and have a seat on the ground or just lean against the tree. Bad winds for stands can make good winds for a ground hunt.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have stands set for every possible wind combonation.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:00 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I don’t bag hunts. If I don’t have a good wind for a particular spot I’ll find one, even if that spot might not be very productive. I don’t have the luxury of bagging a hunt based on a non-ideal wind.
x2 I'm not able to get out a lot because of my class schedule, so when I can hunt - it doesn't matter what the wind is doing. I'll do my best to pick a stand that works with the wind, but I have one spot that I can go to for any wind direction really (creek bottom) because the wind swirls down there anyway

Quick Reply: Playing the wind on small properties

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.