Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand?? >

Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??

Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??

Wanted to know if any of you have had any humorous or scary moments while walking to your stand. I will start with a story from last year. It was opening morning and I was going to hunt a stand right behind my parents house. I was all geared up and and had shut the two big dogs in there kennel (two big Malamutes ,180 pds.,125pds.) i walked up to the gate in the back and just as I got there my foot slipped in something and i almost fell....well as I shined my light down I soon realized I had stepped in what may have been a world record pile of dog sh*t. I am cursing at myself for not being more careful. I had to walk back down and get my other pair of boots on, as I pass the kennel i shine my light onto Denali and he is sitting there waggin his tail at me and lets out a bark. I swear he was laughin. 2 weeks later, same stand I am settled in with 7 deer in the Biologic, one being a buck I wanted to shoot. It is just starting to get light out and I am real excited with all these deer there. All of the sudden I hear the dogs near the gate just start howling, the deer were like see ya and took off through the other side of the field. Those two dogs sat there and howled and whimpered for an hour. I could not help but laugh a little. Turns out they busted the gate of the kennel open and were besides themselves they couldn't go where I had and let it be known lol. So lets hear some stories, I need a good laugh....

shane
Old 09-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??

not walking to the stand...but easily coulda been....

running the coonhounds one night, dad and i were walking down a ATV trail to the hounds when a grouse flushed out of the brush to the side of the trail....i about pooed alot lol....i was like 6 at the time...i was freaked out and didnt understand what it was...i must have wanted to leave or something coz i remember dad sitting on a log with me calming me down and trying to explain it and trying to explain that theres really nothing in PA that will attack me...

if youve never flushed a ruffed grouse you cant really understand( i know they arent in all parts of the country)...but they flush LOUD, WILD and usually close...they make a heck of a noise with wings beating...and this one was in thick brush and it busted out hard and made a ton of noise...sounded like a bear was busting outta there...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah he'll not be happy but oh well what are friends for.

My buddy Frank (HNI member Kidd642) and I were hunting together in Illinois in November of 04'
If you don't know Frank we'll just leave it at...... not the most comfortable in treestands.

Anyway I would worry about him climbing into and out of his stand in the AM and we had 2 way radios so it was standard procedure to call around 7AM to make sure he was still alive on his side of the farm.
On the 3rdmorning I call Frank about 3 times and no answer.
About the 4th time I call here is the Exchange in a whispered tone:

Me: Frank!? You there.........Everything ok over there?
Frank: No.....I had an accident.
Me:[:-]Oh my god I'll be right there!!
Frank: No, not THAT kind of accident
Me:

Seems ol' Frankie ate some bad chinese or something a few days earlier and caught a bit of a stomach bug.......a little slip on the edge of a frosty treestand and it was off to town and the local laundromat.

And I still laugh to this day. It's one of life's small gifts to enjoy over and over and over.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt, i can relate to Franks accident...almost...

climbed to the top of my tree in the climber and "it hit me" i HAD to go...i had about 2 seconds to think...either drop bombs from the sky...which if i could thought of a safe way to do without getting anything but the ground dirty, i would have....but in the heat of the moment i shuffled down the tree and did ran a 40 in about 2 flat and cut loose....

i didnt see a deer that day

still trying to find a way to GO from the stand....i think i can sit on the front bar of my viper and pull it off...but i havent tested that theory....and im not sure if its a good scent control practice...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Yeah he'll not be happy but oh well what are friends for.

My buddy Frank (HNI member Kidd642) and I were hunting together in Illinois in November of 04'
If you don't know Frank we'll just leave it at...... not the most comfortable in treestands.

Anyway I would worry about him climbing into and out of his stand in the AM and we had 2 way radios so it was standard procedure to call around 7AM to make sure he was still alive on his side of the farm.
On the 3rdmorning I call Frank about 3 times and no answer.
About the 4th time I call here is the Exchange in a whispered tone:

Me: Frank!? You there.........Everything ok over there?
Frank: No.....I had an accident.
Me:[:-]Oh my god I'll be right there!!
Frank: No, not THAT kind of accident
Me:

Seems ol' Frankie ate some bad chinese or something a few days earlier and caught a bit of a stomach bug.......a little slip on the edge of a frosty treestand and it was off to town and the local laundromat.

And I still laugh to this day. It's one of life's small gifts to enjoy over and over and over.

I don't care who you are, that is funny. Thats what I am talking aboutgreat story

Shane
Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

well, this is a story of some hunters from florida that rent land from us, we've known them several years. theres nine of them in all, and this was early bow season last year. three of them had been up here for opening weekend, and when theywent back home theyleft a 3d buck target in the front yard. i think you can see where this is going well the other six came in really late the next night, among them a sixteen year old boy who's never killed a deer. well, he gets up the next morning, gets dressed, gets his gear together, and starts out the front door. what does he see? the silhouette of a mature buck in the gray light before dawn about fifty yards away. (understand here the six hunters were not aware that the buck decoy had been left in the yard) well he eases back into the house and gets one of the other hunters, and they proceed to stalk this "buck" in the front yard. the boy swore he saw its head move, just goes to show you what your imagination will create in the heat of the moment. they ease up within twenty yards, and the boy lets an arrow fly. the target falls over, and they walk over to it and find the arrow stuck in its left ear priceless. thank God it wasn't muzzleloader season.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:17 PM

Onemorning me and my buddy were walking in on his lease. We walk past a tree with an overhanging branch that you to duck under. Right before my buddy walks underneath it, we hear something right there in the tree.

We shine a light on the branch we were about to walk under and there sat a HUGE porcupine! Staring us in the face not 4 ft away.

We came un-glued
Old 10-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

This happened back in the "good ole' days" when I was 16.

I was hunting on a club that I was a member of when I felt the sudden need to "relieve myself". But not wanting to soil my nice hunting area I climbed down out of my stand and walked about 50 yards away. I saw an unassuming pine tree and began to make my mystic evolution. After a moment, I heard someone yell "HEY!!!" and I looked around to see who was calling. I didn't see anyone so I went back to what I was doing. Then I heard it again, "HEY YOU!" This time I knew where it was coming from. I looked straight up and saw a very angry older gentleman 20 feet up in the tree I was currently watering. I muttered a quick "sorry!" as I high tailed it out of there.

Now if that wasn't bad enough, when I went to my jeep to drive back home, I found out my 4 wheel drive was broke and my jeep sank deep into the red Georgia clay. After about an hour of trying to "rock" my way out of it I gave up and saw that I was just digging a bigger hole. Just then a large Silverado came down the trail, stopped, and the driver rolled the window down. "You stuck?" He asked. "Yes sir" I said, but I couldn't get any more out before he yelled "You're the boy that was taking a leak on my tree!", and he reamed me up one side and down the other before speeding off and covering me and my jeep in mud from his tires... A few minutes later, I saw the guy coming back. I thought maybe he had a change of heart was was going to help me out after all. He rolled down his window again and yelled "AND YOU LEFT THE GATE OPEN TOO!" and sped off again.

Luckily, about three hours later, after trying to dig my jeep out with a pine branch, another guy came back and helped me out. He said his name was Scott Shellnut from Atlanta (hard to forget that name) And thank God he came by, or I'd probably still be there trying to dig that jeep out. And I wasn't even the one who left the gate open!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

not walking to the stand...but easily coulda been....

running the coonhounds one night, dad and i were walking down a ATV trail to the hounds when a grouse flushed out of the brush to the side of the trail....i about pooed alot lol....i was like 6 at the time...i was freaked out and didnt understand what it was...i must have wanted to leave or something coz i remember dad sitting on a log with me calming me down and trying to explain it and trying to explain that theres really nothing in PA that will attack me...

if youve never flushed a ruffed grouse you cant really understand( i know they arent in all parts of the country)...but they flush LOUD, WILD and usually close...they make a heck of a noise with wings beating...and this one was in thick brush and it busted out hard and made a ton of noise...sounded like a bear was busting outta there...
Ive had that happen quite a few times. Its really bad on your first time in the woods by yourself at about 5am during bear season.

Mine wasnt heading to a stand or sitting in stand but when we got to the cabbin one night a flying squirrell decided to make home in the cabbin. Well one of the guys i hunt with (Junior, 6'5" 295# power lifter) decided it was a little cute fuzzy thing. Well ge goes and grabs ahold of this thing. When it bit him you would have thought he was getting attacked by a bear. He went running across teh cabbin screaming like a girl waving his arm around trying to get it off. Then it takes off across the cabbin and there are 8 full grown me and me(I was 15 at the time) diving around away from this thing completely turning everything upside down. We finally catch this thing in a shoe box and barely crack the lid to see it and it take off out of the box at about 90mph through a 1/4in crack. This went on for about 2 hours until it got chased out the front door. When we woke up in the morning we thought the light outside was burnt out but it was wrapped around the lightbulb to stay warm.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

This happened back in the "good ole' days" when I was 16.

I was hunting on a club that I was a member of when I felt the sudden need to "relieve myself". But not wanting to soil my nice hunting area I climbed down out of my stand and walked about 50 yards away. I saw an unassuming pine tree and began to make my mystic evolution. After a moment, I heard someone yell "HEY!!!" and I looked around to see who was calling. I didn't see anyone so I went back to what I was doing. Then I heard it again, "HEY YOU!" This time I knew where it was coming from. I looked straight up and saw a very angry older gentleman 20 feet up in the tree I was currently watering. I muttered a quick "sorry!" as I high tailed it out of there.

Now if that wasn't bad enough, when I went to my jeep to drive back home, I found out my 4 wheel drive was broke and my jeep sank deep into the red Georgia clay. After about an hour of trying to "rock" my way out of it I gave up and saw that I was just digging a bigger hole. Just then a large Silverado came down the trail, stopped, and the driver rolled the window down. "You stuck?" He asked. "Yes sir" I said, but I couldn't get any more out before he yelled "You're the boy that was taking a leak on my tree!", and he reamed me up one side and down the other before speeding off and covering me and my jeep in mud from his tires... A few minutes later, I saw the guy coming back. I thought maybe he had a change of heart was was going to help me out after all. He rolled down his window again and yelled "AND YOU LEFT THE GATE OPEN TOO!" and sped off again.

Luckily, about three hours later, after trying to dig my jeep out with a pine branch, another guy came back and helped me out. He said his name was Scott Shellnut from Atlanta (hard to forget that name) And thank God he came by, or I'd probably still be there trying to dig that jeep out. And I wasn't even the one who left the gate open!
That is one of those stories that is just too dumb to make up! That's a great one Wiggy!

Quick Reply: Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.