Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who's done it?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who's done it?

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I used to despise squirrels while bowhunting........that was until I realized that many times they were barking at approaching deer.

Now the ones sitting in the tree across from me at eye level looking me in the eye while they bark for an hr...........I've tried killing them with foul language under my breath but I must not be a very good shot with it.
I learned that lesson too, but I forgot it this past weekend. I was scanning left, and one of those stupid tree rats started barking just to the right of me and I couldn't figure out how he had spotted me. While I was trying to spot him (I'm just racking up stupid stunts), four deer walked right across my shooting lane RIGHT UNDER where I was looking for him. I didnt see them until they were in the thick stuff on the other side.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its funny how those little tree rats can rustle leaves and give you a near heart attack thinkin a deer is making the noise. Its even funnier (not) when that same squirrel has been rustling leaves for an hour and you start ignoring him just to realize that the squirrel isn't what's making the noise anymore, there really IS a deer right behind you... And I never did waste an arrow/broadhead on a squirrel.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 PM

I throw one or two old arrows with field points in the quiver just for that reason
Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Back in the day i use to do It all the time. They are good eating!! The Fox and Grey squirrels up here In Minnesota are huge!! The Reds don't have much meat on them but there good eating too.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a fear of putting one through a squirrel then looking left or right and seeing a white flag. So, I bring a pellet handgun. Pellets are one thousandth the price of one arrow/BH. Pellets are one thousandth the noise of a 22 handgun.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 PM

I shot a groundhog tonight before my doe....does that count?

Awesome footage of the deer reacting to the dead groundhog...pretty funny stuff.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

I've done most of your responses, it's been awhile since a have taken a shot at one!!!!!! I have taken 2 shots at 2 different squirrells. I freakin wasted 2 arrows after i missed those 2little suckers, i get so pissed off atthose chatter boxes. It drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@][:@][:@]