Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mildew

Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Mildew

Darren's post got me thinking . . . about mildew.I've had this thought for a long time, but just never really tabled it for discussion...

But is it possibly a good thing to have you clothes get a little damp and mildew-smelling?

Let's look at this objectively -mildew is a naturally-occurring fungus that emits a sometimes-pungent odor.A natural odor. The fact that the odor is natural is the lynchpin in this discussion.

When you think about it, hunters go to the ends of the earth in search of a reliable "cover" scent. We spend thousands on keeping ourselves "scent free" - but there's always that small percentage of human odor that escapes, and we invariably experience the insatiable urge to "cover" it with some chemical scent.

Whitetails are constantly monitoring the airways for foreign chemical complexes. Certain compounds (like the emissions of human sweat microbes) will instantly trigger the alarm on a pressure-sensitive deer. The conversation always relates back to what is foreign, versus what is native to their habitat. Native smells get a pass, while certain foreign chemical cues will trigger an immediate, unfavorable response.

So why not go natural?

Read the list of ingredients on your cover scent. There are a lot of alcohols and chemicals which aren't necessarily native to your woods. Mold, however, is. Molds and fungi are everywhere, and almost all of them emit a stench.

Personally, I always pull my clothes out of the dryer a little prematurely, leaving a small amount of wetness in the heavy seams. I give them a good douse with the scent killer and put them in the tote. When I pull them out, however, they always have a little bit of a moldy odor - which I view as a positive. A natural cover.

So am I nuts, or is there something to be gleaned from this?

Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mildew

You may be on to something.

I've noticed the mildew smell on my clothes as well, and didn't think much of it.

But by going "natural" as far as cover scent, I'd rather just gather a bunch of oak leaves and pine needles.

But hey, if you want to look and smell like FUNGUS, have at 'er[8D]
Old 09-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I would be cautious of the possible health side effects it could have on the hunter, effectiveness aside...
Old 09-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am not advocating eating the clothes.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

You may be on to something.

But hey, if you want to look and smell like FUNGUS, have at 'er[8D]
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicely played Kyle
Old 09-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

You don't have to eat mildew to get sick from their spores... If you can smell it (also even when ya can't) you are inhaling the spores
Old 09-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would just as soon avoid it due to allergy problems!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Old 09-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

I used to do the same thing. I would go out in the morning and gather up damp leaves and sticks, through them in an unscented garbage bag with my clothes and tie it up. The combination of the mildew/leaves would give an odor that wasn't very pleasant (luckily not very strong) but very natural. That was before all the cover scents. Your post got me thinking that maybe I should go back to the old ways.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I went out wearing moldy clothes I would not have to worry about using a snort wheeze call, I'd be making that sound with every breath.