Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"? >

What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

In PA we have 2 types of bucks.........
Non legal bucks (less than 3pts to a side for most of the state), and DEAD bucks.

Cull buck is a term that does not exist here, and that's no exaggeration.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any buck can be a cull buck. The way I determine is size of the deers body vs its antlers. A good 2 1/2 year old buck should deffinatley be more than a spike or 3 pointer.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

From Webster: Cull is to choose, select, pick, gather, pluck

Maybe it's just a spin on words, but I will "choose" to "cull" out a severly wounded buckthat I would not otherwise shoot.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

In most circles it is a cop out to shoot a small young buck.
Thank you.
ditto.

Jeff, you or I may never get a chance to use that term, unless we head to Texas. IMO a cull buck is at least 4.5 on a heavily managed tract, that has a less than a set amount of inches. I agree with the use of the term in this respect. In PA, or NC for that matter, I totally think that you are right about the age being "trophy worthy" in its own right.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:59 AM

I agree that they are not cull bucks until they reach 3.5......We have a lot of mature 5pts, 4pts, 6pts, etc in some of the areas I hunt. They may not score 80pts, but they are big, mature deer..... I consider those cull bucks and in most leases we are allowed to shoot those deer and they not count against our total buck count.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't care for the term. Here in Tx on some highly managed ranches a buck could be considered a "cull buck" because its "only" an 8 point at 3.5yo. It may be 140 inches but because its "only" an 8 and may never be a 10 or 12 its considered a cull. I think that sucks. Oh and you can bet your butt they charge a nice fee to shoot that "cull"!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

A recent study published in the Journal of Wildlife Management states that culling bucks base on antler size up to 4.5 years of age is not a viable way to determine potential. Even if you were to wait until 4.5 years of age before culling the gene from that buck will have already been spread and will continue to spread through hisfemale offspring.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow I guess I better change my thread about my first buck being a "cull" buck

You want my opinion of a cull buck, it's the buck I shot on Saturday. Why you ask? Last year this buck was a four point. His right side looked exactly as it does this year. No change to him means I don't want him in my herd reproducing. I would rather have nicer eights and tens in my herd then a goofy looking five point. JMO

Old 09-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

How old is that buck? Because he has a one antler deformity....it's likely due to an injury....and wouldn't affect his genes in the least.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 AM

IMO, there is no such thing. Even if a given deer is known to be 4.5+, but even still a spike...you can "cull" him but all you have done is "kill" him.I don't believe you are not significantly changing the overall genetics of your herd.

Quick Reply: What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.