HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Sparring bucks !! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/265495-sparring-bucks.html)

GrayDawg 09-29-2008 01:00 PM

Sparring bucks !!

I went out to my "kill" plot yesterday afternoon (after two straight days of rain) to swap cards out of the camera. When I returned home to view the pics, I was tickled to see that my camera was able to take a picture of a ten & eight point who have been visiting this plot together all summer long.

Me thinks the "friendship" is about to go on sabbatical while they begin to think with their other head for the next month or so. :D

Here is the plot as of yesterday- 9/28. The POV of this picture is exactly what I expect the deer to see if they come out of the swamp (behind where I was standing when I took the picture). That's my stand straight ahead- I've constructed a custom blind on the bottom (up to my waist) and the rear of both sides. The material in the front are two separate panels of shoot-thru mesh netting that are hanging from the top outter edge of the umbrella. The mesh netting is extremely light and I can easily brush it to the side, if need be- for a shot.

Season opens 2 weeks from today!

Rob

NCRemington700 09-29-2008 01:05 PM

RE: Sparring bucks !!

Those are great pics! Good luck with one of those big boys.

One question though...why did you put your stand IN the food plot? Why not back it off the plot, 5, even 10 yards to cover yourself better? Just curious.

Good luck man!

IAhuntr 09-29-2008 01:20 PM

Gotta agree^^^ You are certainly front row center there and not real high.I would've picked a tree with some cover about ten yards inside the field edge. It's gonna be tough to blink without spooking something.

jjlemm001 09-29-2008 01:20 PM

They look great. Will look better in the freezer and mounted on the wall. Good huntin'

GrayDawg 09-29-2008 01:58 PM

David/IAHunter,
That is what the blind is for! ;) Seriously, when I sit down in the blind, I disappear. I'll simply move when the deer move and have their back to me or are at least quartering away. Also, once the first frost hits & the Wintergreens turns sweet- their heads will be down eating. That's usually the moment I wait for to draw/zip 'em.

This isn't a "field"- rather a hand-tilled/sown kill plot in the middle of thick woods bordering a swamp. Also, the deer should be coming in from the right side of the photo which will afford me the ability to stand, grab my bow & get ready to draw all before they are in a position to defect me.

The prevailing winds blow from where I took the picture to my stand. The deer are in this plot at all hours of the day- they feel extremely safe/comfortable there. At least up until the point I ventilate the 10 that is !! :D

Don't worry- I've been around the block a few times- I know how/when to move when deer are close.

Rob

PatrickMc 09-29-2008 02:04 PM

You would know better than the rest of us. Good luck with those two, they are nice ones.

NCRemington700 09-29-2008 02:15 PM

I wasn't questioning you knowledge of your hunting practices at all Rob. Just asking. But I see what you are saying. Obviously those deer are used to your stand/blind. Good luck with that big 10!;)

GrayDawg 09-29-2008 05:55 PM

David,
No biggie- I didn't thinkyou were questioning my hunting prowess as much as I wanted you to know I feel things are under control. The stand has been up since May & the blind has been up since the middle of August with the final modifications (mesh curtains) going up two weeks ago.

I just hope the deer maintain the timing of their travel patterns.............. :D

Rob

BigDaddy12t 09-29-2008 05:59 PM

Those are some dang nice deer.

Siman08/OH 09-29-2008 06:09 PM

Great pics!