Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Wind

Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Wind

How many of you guys honestly hunt the wind? I remember Gregh made a very detailed post a while back and he hunts the wind religiously.This year I am going to really try to hunt the wind correctly, especially if I am hunting a mature buck. Now, if I'm going to try to harvest a doe one day then I may not pay as much attention to it, still I'm going to give it a lot of thought in my stand locations and think I will see moer mature bucks as well.

My first self-control test will be this weekend. It's opening day here in Virginia and I have a stand hung in a transition zone and staging area (oak flat) that is a pinch point between two and possibly three major bedding areas. I'm hunting a 125" buck named Lefty cause he has a split left G2 and think I have a GREAT chance of not only seeing him but hopefully harvesting him as well. But, to hunt this area I need a SSW wind and this Saturday its calling for a NW wind at 4 mph. Now I know that 4 mph is virtually nothing, but still I don't want to ruin the area on opening day. If things get rough (and I lose my patience) then I may hunt this area with a NW cause the way the land lays a NW or WNW won't hurt me as bad as anything from the east. But anway, its going to be hard not hunting this area that as SO much promise.

Enough of my rambling though! Just excited for Saturday.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Default RE: The Wind

I try to hunt the wind as much possible. Sometimes I can't just because I have limited access to lands, so I have to risk it.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:42 AM

do not hunt a location with bad wind. get a few other sites for different wind directions to hunt even if they are not as good.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Spike

I am very cautious about hunting the wind. My mindset is this - I hunt the wind like I don't do a thing about scent control, but I still take every step possible to keep my scent as close to nothing as I can. I believe the more disciplined I am the better my chances. With this mindset the past 4 or so years I have been more successful than ever before.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm hunting it more this year than ever before. When Rob and Matt were here....we rolled the dice a little....because I was familiar with the property. Since they've left.....I'm not taking any chances. Frank and I hunted a "less than prime" area, this morning....because of a bad wind (from the N). I actually got into a great spot.....but like a dumbass picked the wrong side of the woodlot. I'd never been in there before, though. Live and learn.

We've got a good wind, this afternoon, though. I'm putting Frank where I was Saturday (when I saw 8), and I'm heading into unknown territory.

We'll see.

I'm learning this.....

I'm wondering how many deer that winded me when I used to take chances???? Not only do I have to learn to play the wind......I have to realize there's a strategy to a particular SPOT in that woodlot that raises your odds.

I'm being swayed more and more towards hard-line playing the wind. Before....it didn't matter. If I wanted to hunt....I had to take a chance. Now....I don't have to do that.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

In my honey hole, it's pointless. There are no good winds, there are no bad wins really. Deer can and do come from anywhere. There is no doubt there are deer downwind of me no matter what direction the wind is blowing.

Other spots, yes, I'm very observant of the wind. We have to be.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

You really think a mature doe downwind is any different than a mature buck downwind? LOLGood luck with that theory.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

You really think a mature doe downwind is any different than a mature buck downwind? LOLGood luck with that theory.
You talk'n to me? (in my best Al Pacino voice)

Can't be, I said nothing of the sort.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

You wanna see an area go "cold" quickly? Try NOT playing the wind.

We've got a saying in corporate America.... "Let me know how that works out for ya!"
Old 09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

You talk'n to me? (in my best Al Pacino voice)

Can't be, I said nothing of the sort.
did you read the original post?

Quick Reply: The Wind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.