Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Wind

Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Wind

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

In my honey hole, it's pointless. There are no good winds, there are no bad wins really. Deer can and do come from anywhere. There is no doubt there are deer downwind of me no matter what direction the wind is blowing.

Other spots, yes, I'm very observant of the wind. We have to be.
Rob, this sounds like my hunting spot to a T, I never know where a deer is going to come from. I have always wondered how a guy is suppose to hunt a spot like this. I was in a spot just last night like this. I was on the edge of a bean field in a strip of woods about 15 yards wide. I was facing away from the beans, looking out over a CRP field, because they usually walk the edge of this woods, I was facing North, and I had a South wind at about 4 MPH, and wouldnt you know it, I had a doe come right down the edge of the beans not 5 yards out. When she got to the spot where my scent was blowing out over the beans, she turned and bolted baack the direction she came from.[:@]
Old 09-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

next
ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

You really think a mature doe downwind is any different than a mature buck downwind? LOLGood luck with that theory.
From what I read, I'd say he means that in hunting a particular buck in a particular stand where tendencies and behavioral characteristics are known from scouting as opposed to hunting with the intention of balancing the herd or putting meat on the table in taking a doe. In knowing RockinChair and reading his other posts, I'd say he definitely knows the difference. I believe he also once quoted a book saying that "any hunter worth his salt knows its harder to harvest a mature doe than a young ignorant buck."
Not sure howI could misinterpret this statement.......
Sounds more to me like he's going to give the wind consideration for bucks....but if it's a doe he's after he'll loosen up his convictions a bit.
That's a mistake.

This year I am going to really try to hunt the wind correctly, especially if I am hunting a mature buck. Now, if I'm going to try to harvest a doe one day then I may not pay as much attention to it, still I'm going to give it a lot of thought in my stand locations and think I will see moer mature bucks as well.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

I play the wind 100% of the time. I am constantly checking the hourly forecasts for the predicted winds the day i'm going to hunt.....and if I get in a stand and the wind switches, swirls, or wavers-I'm Gone! Does no good to sit there...if you don't have a stand, scout some more on the bad wind days to try to find some extra spots. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trying to set up for a particular wind direction is fairly useless in many of the areas I hunt because as Rob mentioned deer can and do come from multiple directions so no one wind direction is perfect. However, I always try to set up so that I can play the odds and not have a WRONG wind.

For example, I was hunting a pinch point in MD 2 weekends ago. In the spot we were in the deer could come from behind us or out in front of us and to our right from the strip we were hunting. They could come to the left too, but there was not a lot of cover and it was not a likely route of travel. While on stand the wind direction changed 3 times, but not one of those times was it dead wrong and blowing right to the deer. Careful stand selection can make a big difference (I did not set up that stand BTW, so kudos to PABuckbuster12).
Old 09-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm one of those bow hunters also that will not hunt an area If the wind Is questionable or bad. There's always another day. If your hunting a particular nice buck and you want him bad enough, you better play by his rules!!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I try to hunt the wind as best I can. I have VERY few places that give me only one direction for the deer to come from. I care more to play the wind for not blowing to bedding areas more than I do to just blowing towards where a deer can come into range. UNLESS I AM ON THE GROUND. I’ve killed too many deer close & directly down wind while out of a tree to worry about it in those cases.
When you factor in time afield & swirling winds in many of my spots, I can’t climb down out of a tree every time the wind goes wrong. I’d rarely get any time to hunt. This is why I put so much effort into scent control and hoping deer will think I am much farther away than I actually am.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:00 PM

I really don't/can't play the wind. I have limited places to hunt, with only a few stands to choose from and a predominant wind from the west. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of options so I make do with what I have even if the wind is unfavorable.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

next

You really think a mature doe downwind is any different than a mature buck downwind? LOLGood luck with that theory.
From what I read, I'd say he means that in hunting a particular buck in a particular stand where tendencies and behavioral characteristics are known from scouting as opposed to hunting with the intention of balancing the herd or putting meat on the table in taking a doe. In knowing RockinChair and reading his other posts, I'd say he definitely knows the difference. I believe he also once quoted a book saying that "any hunter worth his salt knows its harder to harvest a mature doe than a young ignorant buck."
Not sure howI could misinterpret this statement.......
Sounds more to me like he's going to give the wind consideration for bucks....but if it's a doe he's after he'll loosen up his convictions a bit.
That's a mistake.

This year I am going to really try to hunt the wind correctly, especially if I am hunting a mature buck. Now, if I'm going to try to harvest a doe one day then I may not pay as much attention to it, still I'm going to give it a lot of thought in my stand locations and think I will see moer mature bucks as well.
Theoretically (sp?) yes, but it's like other have mentioned before, that in many areas its useless to hunt with wind cause deer come and go from every direction. Which is the case when I hunt for does. There are several blinds and stands on our property where there is no telling where the deer will come from, and these stands and blinds are where we do the majority of our doe hunting.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

I try to hunt the wind as much possible. Sometimes I can't just because I have limited access to lands, so I have to risk it.
Same here. I just try to control scent the best I can. I think I'm going into my third year without being 'busted' by a deer. I'm starting to get more confident.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StealthHtr22

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

I try to hunt the wind as much possible. Sometimes I can't just because I have limited access to lands, so I have to risk it.
Same here. I just try to control scent the best I can. I think I'm going into my third year without being 'busted' by a deer. I'm starting to get more confident.
Ahhhh but you have been busted, you just didn't know it! You were busted by those deer you didnt see.

By I get what you are saying and am in the same boat. Last year I didnt have deer wind me or bust me out while I could see them. atleast not to my knowledge.

Quick Reply: The Wind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.