Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Wind

Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Wind

Kanga and I did our best to "hunt the wind" this past weekend. Its tough to do when winds are dead calm when you get out in the morning and then start kicking up and swirling 1/2 hour after daybreak. I got out of my best stand opening morning because of the swirling winds and moved. I didn't want to mess that spot up. Saturday evening was more of the same. Winds from any direction at any time. I was busted twice in a ground blind. Once by a couple of does and once by a pack of feral hogs. And that was with doing my best at scent control.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

next
ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

You really think a mature doe downwind is any different than a mature buck downwind? LOLGood luck with that theory.
From what I read, I'd say he means that in hunting a particular buck in a particular stand where tendencies and behavioral characteristics are known from scouting as opposed to hunting with the intention of balancing the herd or putting meat on the table in taking a doe. In knowing RockinChair and reading his other posts, I'd say he definitely knows the difference. I believe he also once quoted a book saying that "any hunter worth his salt knows its harder to harvest a mature doe than a young ignorant buck."
Old 09-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Hell no, Matt. Does have ONE thing that makes them easier to kill than bucks.

Fawns.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

In my honey hole, it's pointless. There are no good winds, there are no bad wins really. Deer can and do come from anywhere. There is no doubt there are deer downwind of me no matter what direction the wind is blowing.

Other spots, yes, I'm very observant of the wind. We have to be.
That's kind of my deal. I have some locations where deer can and will come from any direction. It bothers the heck out of me really, but there's not a lot I can do about it. The stand locations are awesome but I know there is a good chance of deer being downwind of me (good chance of being upwind at the same time). The winds are both good and bad. Most other stands I simply won't hunt unless the wind is perfect. I vary all my other stands so I will always have a "good stand" to sit in no matter what the wind direction is. You have to pay attention to the wind.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think a lot of people talk a big game about "playing the wind" just like they do in many other aspects of hunting. Playing the wind is a lot harder to do than most people think. That being said, I have a ways to go to become good at playing the wind.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Me to Brett, I play it the best that I can, I have stands for all winds butthe deer travle were they want. Nothing I can do about it.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

I play the wind pretty religously.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

I've got multiple stands set up for all the eight different wind directions. Trial and error over the years has taught me that it is better to hunt a marginable stand that is wind appropriate rather than ruining a better area for days by trying to "chance it."

However, through this same trial and error, I have learned that two of my stands, due to their height, topography, and wind currents defy some preconceived notions as to how the wind effects deer from these locations.

Saturday evening was more of the same. Winds from any direction at any time. I was busted twice in a ground blind. Once by a couple of does and once by a pack of feral hogs. And that was with doing my best at scent control.
Ground hunting is always tougher from a scent detection perspective, but I also have some areas in which ground hunting is the only viable option.

Hunting off the ground, as most people do,does more for scent control than all the products combined that are marketed for such.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

We're already having to change up our afternoon spots. I, for one, am determined not to bugger up a spot....no matter how goodit's produced in the past.

We'll take our chances in a lesser known area. Having 100 acres where anything N kills you.....and having 250 acres where you can play the wind to your advantage......is the difference between night and day.

I'm betting my journal proves that paying the wind IS the right call.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 AM

I play the wind 100% of the time.... I've got dozens and dozens of spots to hunt and I will only hunt them under perfect wind conditions... Its just one of the variables I like to take out of the equation.

Quick Reply: The Wind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.