HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   First weekend hunting - took a young doe... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/265395-first-weekend-hunting-took-young-doe.html)

LittleChief 09-28-2008 07:14 PM

First weekend hunting - took a young doe...

AND TWO DOGS! (no, it's not a bad thing)

Saturday turned out to be an eventful day. I climbed into my stand at 5:00 am just as planned. Once I had everything situated, I turned my light off and sat down in the pitch black. Finally, the light started to creep in and the hunt was on. Well, despite high hopes for that particular location, I saw nothing theyesterday day.This morning, I got back on stand at 5:30. At about 6:30, I saw a doe walking the old tram that ran across 40 yards out. I figured she wasn't going to present a shot. She walked past, then entered the woods and turned back the other way. When she turned and started walking towards me, I stood up and grabbed the bow. Before I could tell for sure, I figured since she was a doe and alone, she was a young one, but I was going to take her anyway. She walked straight to the base of my tree without presenting a shot, then turned left, walked 10 yards out and turned broadside and looked away. Well, that's an easy one! I drew, bent at the waist, closed one eye and centered the top pin, opened the eye, settled the pin and released.She wheeled andran back the way she came for about 40 yards, the I watched her stop, look back, lose her balance and fall over.I love seeing that. Here's a pic just to keep me out of trouble.

LittleChief 09-28-2008 07:20 PM

RE: First weekend hunting - took a young doe...

Sorry, didn't mean to leave out the part about the dogs.....

I loaded this little girl up and took her out a ways to field dress her. When I parked the quad, two puppies ran out into the road and stopped. They were in bad shape. You could see every bone in their little bodies. They were obviously starving, and probably dying of thirst. There was no water anywhere close to where they were. No houses either. It looked like someone had dumped them. Well, as I wastrying to field dress this deer, I was having to fight off two starving puppies, so I finally gave up, picked them up, put them in the cab of the truck and finished my job in relative peace. Then it was time to decide what to do. Well, it wasn't hard. I ended up taking them home, and we'll be looking for homes for them. I don't have high hopes, but for the time being, I now have FIVE dogs. If we don't find homes for them, that will probably be permanent.[:@]

PreacherTony 09-28-2008 07:22 PM

Congrats LC!!!! And you made it home alive!!!!!:D

PreacherTony 09-28-2008 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Sorry, didn't mean to leave out the part about the dogs.....

I loaded this little girl up and took her out a ways to field dress her. When I parked the quad, two puppies ran out into the road and stopped. They were in bad shape. You could see every bone in their little bodies. They were obviously starving, and probably dying of thirst. There was no water anywhere close to where they were. No houses either. It looked like someone had dumped them. Well, as I wastrying to field dress this deer, I was having to fight off two starving puppies, so I finally gave up, picked them up, put them in the cab of the truck and finished my job in relative peace. Then it was time to decide what to do. Well, it wasn't hard. I ended up taking them home, and we'll be looking for homes for them. I don't have high hopes, but for the time being, I now have FIVE dogs. If we don't find homes for them, that will probably be permanent.[:@] I don't know if the "man laws" apply to this situation, but just in case....
HEY!! What happened to the other pic??

Rory/MO 09-28-2008 07:25 PM

Congrats! Were you in Missouri or Tennessee?

LittleChief 09-28-2008 07:26 PM

Posting disability. The pictures are kicking my butt.
That picture was a Grim Reaper exit wound, and I didn't mean to post it. Here it is again:

LittleChief 09-28-2008 07:28 PM

Thanks. This hunt was in Hardeman County, Tennessee. That's where the antlerless limit is 3 per day. There's a huge deer population. I guess I just picked the wrong spot this weekend.:D

bowmanaj 09-28-2008 07:30 PM

congrats. good eatin

NCRemington700 09-28-2008 07:31 PM

Now that's a hole! Congrats on your doe LC.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-28-2008 07:32 PM

Congratulations Little Chief and take pics of the puppy's too. I have a soft spot for dogs. I wish you the best.