HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Treestand tip for those with lower back pain.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/265199-treestand-tip-those-lower-back-pain.html)

virginiashadow 09-27-2008 08:20 AM

Treestand tip for those with lower back pain....

I have lower back pain off and on and when bow season starts it gets worse sitting in my tree stand. I told myself this year I would not go through the constant tightness in my lower back if I could help it. I thought of something a couple of weeks ago and tried it out. My back felt great when I sat in my climber. I slit open the lower back portion of the climber seat. I inserted two car wash type sponges into the slit and then zip tied the fabric back together. I then sat in the seat. What a difference 3-4 inches of lower back support make! Try it out.

+

=

Feeling Good. :)

Mottz 09-27-2008 08:29 AM

RE: Treestand tip for those with lower back pain....

That sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try that. Hey, maybe you should put a patent on that idea.

Washington Hunter 09-27-2008 09:02 AM

Huh, I'll have to try it out.

Being 20 and already having back issues sucks. [:@]

virginiashadow 09-27-2008 09:05 AM

Wash Hunter--make sure your abs are strong. The best thing I have done for my lower back is to constantly work my abdominal muscles out....4 times a week minimum. I have a little routine that takes me 2-3 minutes or so and it seems to really help support my back.

Edcyclopedia 09-27-2008 11:29 AM

At least by the end of the season you have clean cheeks!;)
Have you ever tried a kidney belt?

DowningAir 09-27-2008 11:39 AM

Huh, I'll have to try it out.

Being 20 and already having back issues sucks. [:@]
I hear that Washington Hunter. I played football with my buddies last wednesday and have been miserable ever since. Guess we're just getting too old. ;)

Hope it gets better before this wednesday! :D

rybohunter 09-29-2008 08:53 AM

Yea I take a little camo “seat” cushion and place it back there for lower back support when I am on all day sits. My back KILLS me during hunting season.

Tree climber 09-29-2008 09:30 AM

self medication , works for me.

thats what House always says,seems to help him.

all kidding aside,I have the same problems.I have two 11'' steel plates and 10 screws in my low spine.extensive nerve damage to low back and left leg.bottom 4 vertibra are fused together.had staf infection on the spine and all the back muscles(the backstrap)[&:][:o][:o]are gone,the infection ate them away[:o].I need all the help I can get when it means setting for over a couple hrs.
Most of my hunting is done from blinds and perminant stands now.the permanient stands all have boat seats with good backs and coushions.in two of them I have old office chairs set up.the only problems with those are trying to stay awake

I have one climber that has extra padding in the back and bottom for suport.I will have to give you idea a good look and see if it will help in my climber.
good I dea,thanks for sharing.

Robow45 09-29-2008 10:13 AM

Hey thanks! I'll give it a try!

bawanajim 09-29-2008 10:20 AM

Some thing that works great for me are thermal care heat wraps, they are cheap ,odorless & really work well. Those late season all day sits can be tough,but these wraps limit how much heavy clothing you need and make shooting a breeze.
Heres what others say.

Just as the manufacturer says, ThermaCare HeatWraps are activated when you open their hermetically sealed package. It takes about 1/2 hour for the wrap to fully warm up. The wrap is lightweight, odorless and can be worn very discreetly. Once the wrap is out of the package, just remove the adhesive, and place the adhesive side on your skin, in the area of your back you wish to relax. I suggest you pull the wrap fairly tight while placing it on your back. This will minimize any gaping between your skin and the wrap during ADL. Of course, getting the wrap afixed to the exact place(s) of tension on your back is key to getting good results!