HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Old strip mine topos,,a little tougher read? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/265186-old-strip-mine-topos-little-tougher-read.html)

bloodcrick 09-27-2008 07:12 AM

Old strip mine topos,,a little tougher read?

Give me your thoughts on strip minr topos, would you agree they are a little tougher to read than a standard hard woods with hills and terrain changes ? I posted a topo of some of my areas i hunt and alot of itis strip mine ground. notice how tight the elevation lines are to each other. I also posted one without the topo attachedof some of the same areas. If you look you will see the long running rows of old strip mine hills lined with pines( green)
These can be very nasty to manuver let alone getting a deer out of them.
I can actually read this kind of ground better with out the topo attached.
Just thought you might find it interesting to see some diversified ground.
I have been looking at alot of topos lately with Germ and Gri22ly and my areas look so much different on topos.

without
without topo but a larger area

ron3775 09-27-2008 07:18 AM

RE: Old strip mine topos,,a little tougher read?

whats puzzling to me is the crop formations in the bottom pic on the right side. I don't know if I would hunt up there. You may get taken by aliens and get the full anal probing deal. lol

You are right though, very difficult to read.

bloodcrick 09-27-2008 07:26 AM

:D:D[8D][8D]Ill stay away from that area...I dont need probed :D

ORIGINAL: ron3775

whats puzzling to me is the crop formations in the bottom pic on the right side. I don't know if I would hunt up there. You may get taken by aliens and get the full anal probing deal. lol

You are right though, very difficult to read.

nodog 09-27-2008 08:39 AM

They both have their place. Those pics are to small for my eyes to read them but, there are times when a topo is only good for marking info obtained on. Still they show locations of things like roads and water holes and even a stripped mined topo will show changes in elevation. I have a computor program that will build a profile of an area. Put in the route,or it can take it off a gps, and it will give you the changes in elevation, it will even let you "fly by". After I got it and built some of the places I've beenI said to myself "no wonder that was so tough".:D

Topo programs of Ohio, Indiana and Michigan all for 79 bucks. It's a great tool.

GMMAT 09-27-2008 09:53 AM

I have no experience with those type topos, dink.....but I just looked at the aerial and picked a few spots that stood out to me.

They may be terrible....lol....but I'd look at them first....if I had this spot to hunt.

Take it with a grain of salt, buddy.

gri22ly 09-27-2008 10:37 AM

They are a different read, for sure. It is amuch better if the land was topoed after it was striped. Here are afew good spots I use to hunt.

Red were stands and the blue lines are how the deer used this section.

bloodcrick 09-27-2008 10:39 AM

Jeff you hit two that were almost right on spots that have been good to me. The two blue arrows (one with a pink dot i killed a 125" buck from) The blue arrow with no dot i SHOULD have killed a 130's buck from [:@]The pink X's have been good places. The pink X with the pink square gave me a 155"er and has been a great spot. The green X is where i killed my buck last year the first time out. I had found this spot shed hunting and it has everything. I will wait for Nov again to hunt it ;)Good choices Jeff but some are very hard to get to.

gri22ly 09-27-2008 11:01 AM

This is another goodarea thatI never got to hunt, it was a money spot:D
Red dots where stands, the black lines where high walls and the green area wasabout a10 acre food plot.

I would hate guess how many 130 to 160 in. deer were taken here.[8D]

buckeye 09-27-2008 11:43 AM

All of the public that I hunt is strip mine country.... The topos for my area suck, they are covered in dark brown every where the strip mining took place. The brown is so dark you can't hardly see through it to see the contour lines.

bloodcrick 09-27-2008 02:41 PM

Gri22 those are some great looking spots. why didnt you get to hunt the money spot??
Buckeye.. I was not to impressed with my area topos either [:@]I wonder why that is.