HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   1st bow season..any tips/help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/264584-1st-bow-season-any-tips-help.html)

joker80p 09-23-2008 02:20 PM

1st bow season..any tips/help

So this will be my first time hunting deer with a bow and i really dont know where to start. Maybe i can get a few pointers to help my season out. I will be shooting a High Country Machined Supreme and 100 grain muzzy 3 blades. I have been practicing quite a but from closer ranges. I shoot mostly 20 yards but will shoot 30 if need be. At 20 yards im capable of shooting 2 inch groups or smaller on a good day, and from 30 about 3-4 inches.
Where to start...I've been scouting the area i want to be in which is very thick and i found the tree i want to be in however i will need to clear a shooting lane as there are some branches in my path. By the way i just purchased a summit viper climber and i have been practicing with that also. So how do i go about setting things up for opening bow season on Oct 18th? What is your take on calls/scents for early bow season?
I've been told it may be kind of late to go in and prepare for hunting there but i just happened to stumble upon the area when i was squirrel hunting with my bow and there were quite a few deer in the area. I counted about 10 that where withing 50 yards of the tree i picked. Mostly does but there has been a spike, a 4 pointer, a nice 6 and a big 8 that have been around. I always see the group of does around but they move around slightly in the area.
From what i can tell by the leaves and how the ground is disturbed they are traveling this path quite often to about where my stand will be and staying in the area for a while..never going any further but taking the same trail out.

I know it may be alot to ask but im just trying to learn a little. Also what height do you usually hunt from. I know some that stay low at about 8-10 feet and some that will go as high as possible 30+. I dont think going that high is necessary but whats a good height?

ltpelham 09-23-2008 02:21 PM

RE: 1st bow season..any tips/help

just stay calm cool and colletive and you will be fine and good luck!

bcvd45 09-23-2008 02:24 PM

you dont have to shoot the first time a deer gives you the slightest opening. Wait until you get one you are very comfortable with and go from there. Have fun!

Vabowman 09-23-2008 04:04 PM

welcome to our passion...as far as height in the tree, I get at least 20 ft, but you can go lower or higher, but 20 ft is good. The higher you are, the less chance of being seen or smelled, but it does not cancel it out completely!! As far scouting, find what, when, and where the deer are feeding. Find out out where they are bedding and get between the two. For now, just concentrate on seeing deer, that is half the battle. Once you begin seeing deer try to get in range or get them in range, either by moving the stand for the next hunt or grunting, but I advise to just simply hang your stand in the most active places and see how it pans out. If you get the opprotunity to shoot, then shoot, make sure it's not a marginal shot, broadside or slight quartering away is the best shot. Expect to shoot deer closer than you can imagine! Most people are concerned with 40-50 yd shots, but they are rare and not good unless you are a seasoned veteran. Most shots in the bowhunting woods occur from 25 yds or less. Watch your scent, watch the wind, and find areas that deer will go to eat... good luck!

bowmanaj 09-23-2008 04:04 PM

I'd say anywhere between 15-20 feet high is good. Many people go alot higher.I'm not sure when the rut hits up there but in mid october I'd try to just stay as scent free as possible and do minimal calling. Maybe hunt funnels/saddles etc..As it gets closer to november and in early november you can try different things if you feel like it. Possibly an estrous scent wick in the seeking phase. Again, I'm not sure when the rut hits up there, Im just going by Ohio and Indiana. The rut down here is usually nov. 1-10 give or take a couple days.

kelleno 09-23-2008 04:06 PM

Just stay calm and make sure to make a good clean shot. Also watch where the deer runs as far as u can see it

jimmy28303 09-23-2008 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

welcome to our passion...as far as height in the tree, I get at least 20 ft, but you can go lower or higher, but 20 ft is good. The higher you are, the less chance of being seen or smelled, but it does not cancel it out completely!! As far scouting, find what, when, and where the deer are feeding. Find out out where they are bedding and get between the two. For now, just concentrate on seeing deer, that is half the battle. Once you begin seeing deer try to get in range or get them in range, either by moving the stand for the next hunt or grunting, but I advise to just simply hang your stand in the most active places and see how it pans out. If you get the opprotunity to shoot, then shoot, make sure it's not a marginal shot, broadside or slight quartering away is the best shot. Expect to shoot deer closer than you can imagine! Most people are concerned with 40-50 yd shots, but they are rare and not good unless you are a seasoned veteran. Most shots in the bowhunting woods occur from 25 yds or less. Watch your scent, watch the wind, and find areas that deer will go to eat... good luck!
This pretty much says it. as far as height. Go as high as you are comfy with. I mean, dont go 45' up a pine tree but 18 to 25 should drastically reduce your chance of getting winded or seen. Its all about trial and error when you starting out. If you get in the tree and notice that all the deer are following a path 50yds away then move your stand on the next hunt 25 yrds closer. Good luck!

virginiashadow 09-23-2008 04:46 PM

good luck joker! 15-20 feet up should do you fine in the stand. If you are shooting that good, you should feel confident. Just remember to practice from the same elevations you will be shooting from come season. Just stay scent free by washing your clothes in scent free detergent and hang drying the clothes outside. Other than that, not much to say except good luck!