HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   why did michigan ban baiting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/264540-why-did-michigan-ban-baiting.html)

ltpelham 09-23-2008 09:11 AM

why did michigan ban baiting

michigan has baned baiting casue of this CWD but why? what does bait have to do with it. They Stessed that baiting includes everything from a falt block to apile of apples and even deer-cane. so yea anyone know why

StealthHtr22 09-23-2008 09:46 AM

RE: why did michigan ban baiting

It may be to reduce the chances of deer passing on the disease. Using the same bait pile maybe just asking for the disease to spread. Idon't know much about it but thats what I would guess.

By the way, isn't there enough deer anyway that you shouldn't have to bait?

DowningAir 09-23-2008 10:00 AM

It may be to reduce the chances of deer passing on the disease. Using the same bait pile maybe just asking for the disease to spread. Idon't know much about it but thats what I would guess.

By the way, isn't there enough deer anyway that you shouldn't have to bait?
This is indeed the case. A deer was diagnosed within state lines. No matter where the deer contracted the disease from, if it is in-state and diagnosed then an immediate ban is placed upon baiting in the penninsula it is found in. In this case, it was Kent County in the lower penninsula near Grand Rapids I beleive. DNR will be conducting manditory testing on all deer harvested in a five county radius around the Kent County area. If no other cases are found within six months of the initial case, the the board can vote to remove the ban.

This season we're gonna have to do it old fasion. And yes Stealth, I beleive there is more then enough deer, so we really shouldn't worry too much. Better safe then sorry.

ltpelham 09-23-2008 11:07 AM

i agree we have enough deer bu i still like to set out salt blocks or minerals for the deer. but its the law and i will follow the law. i do feel bad for the avg. joe who has a few acres and relizes on bait. good luck with your hunts!

nissan300ztt 09-23-2008 11:15 AM

Baiting is unethical and isn't hunting...you aren't "hunting" anything. Lots of states have banned all sorts of baiting including any sort of preseason feeds...I know for a fact here in PA if your caught feeding anything to deer its a $5000 fine. I have a friend who was caught on camera putting corn in a trough and the fish and game officer wrote him the fine on the spot.

Red 5 stdby 09-23-2008 11:22 AM

Do a search on the WI DNR website to read about CWD. WI was unprepared and is now paying the price. What started out asa few deer has spread to 1/3 of the state and now crossed into IL. The MI DNR is being proactive and trying to stop the spread before it gets a foothold. The disease is spread through saliva and mucous membranes. Any attractant that causes deer to congregate is a potential carrier of the disease whether it is a pile of corn to a salt block.

ltpelham 09-23-2008 11:22 AM

im not looking to see if its ethical or not. thats not the question at hand. its what does a "food area" if you perfer have to do with CWD. Im not for or agianst baiting..... just curisous bout the issue at hand. i do not consider salt blocks orminerals as bait

ltpelham 09-23-2008 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Red 5 stdby

Do a search on the WI DNR website to read about CWD. WI was unprepared and is now paying the price. What started out asa few deer has spread to 1/3 of the state and now crossed into IL. The MI DNR is being proactive and trying to stop the spread before it gets a foothold. The disease is spread through saliva and mucous membranes. Any attractant that causes deer to congregate is a potential carrier of the disease whether it is a pile of corn to a salt block.
thanks that was well put i can see now why this is happening

nissan300ztt 09-23-2008 11:25 AM

Well i understand that but CWD only seems to effect souther and midwestern deer..The pa deer population is too healthy. thats why we have so many. Pa population of deer is 1.25-1.5 million.

wrightshot 09-23-2008 11:32 AM

Based on the reports found on the Michigan DNR web site, they are suspecting the spread of the CWD from bodily fluids and waste. The thought is this. Baiting brings in multiple groups of deer to one location. The plan is by not allowing baiting, you reduce the risk of having large numbers of deer in one small location. Thus reducing the risk of the spread of CWD.

Now what I have heard is there was (1) deer found with CWD in a private reserve. All other deer at that location have been tested andall tested negative. This animal was brought in from another private reserve, (location unpublished). No other cases have been found within the state or the 50 mile threashhold.