Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 why did michigan ban baiting >

why did michigan ban baiting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why did michigan ban baiting

Old 09-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: why did michigan ban baiting

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

Well i understand that but CWD only seems to effect souther and midwestern deer..The pa deer population is too healthy. thats why we have so many. Pa population of deer is 1.25-1.5 million.
Actually CWDwas originally found out west in Montana and Colorado. Maybe I'm reading your statement incorrectly but are you saying that PA can't get CWD because the herd is too healthy? That's like saying only gay people can get AIDS. That's totally ridiculous! Pray that the disease never crosses your borders and hope that your DNR is prepared if it does.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Well my friend if you would like to come to pennsylvania or just get pictures...you can see the deer population in PA is extremely health CWD happens when overpopulation meets under Vegitated areas colorado and montana are perfect examples not lots of vegitation compared to pennsylvania or tennesee or places like that. And im not saying that only southern deer but ive seen missouri deer with this problem. Ive never seen a deer in a well vegetated area with this disease..I might be mistaken but if im wrong ill admit my error.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 AM

i guess i am glad now after reading your posts that the DNR have taken action. finally tax money to a good use
Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 AM

Well said. I have heard that Michigan has one of the largest deer populations in the states. We pump approx. 50 million into the economy each year. I am sure we wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't needed.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Well i understand that but CWD only seems to effect souther and midwestern deer..The pa deer population is too healthy. thats why we have so many. Pa population of deer is 1.25-1.5 million.
I thought that was the population in just your county?

Well my friend if you would like to come to pennsylvania or just get pictures...you can see the deer population in PA is extremely health CWD happens when overpopulation meets under Vegitated areas colorado and montana are perfect examples not lots of vegitation compared to pennsylvania or tennesee or places like that. And im not saying that only southern deer but ive seen missouri deer with this problem. Ive never seen a deer in a well vegetated area with this disease..I might be mistaken but if im wrong ill admit my error.
Is Wisconsin an "under vegitated" state? Illinois?? I've never seen a spider in myneighbor's garageeither....
Old 09-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Well as i said earlier i was mistaken when i read that article and if you read that post you would have known i admit my mistake. Now CWD has never been discovered in PA and illinois is mostly corn fields. And wisconsin has long harsh winters and vegetation dies early there. Ive been to both states numrous times being a truck driver i travel more then a lot of people. So you can think of it as you wish.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM

can you really explain what you mean by under vegitated
Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

This is for all the people wondering why they banned baiting in michigan
http://www.cwd-info.org/pdf/BaitingFAQ.pdf

Old 09-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Baiting is unethical and isn't hunting...you aren't "hunting" anything. Lots of states have banned all sorts of baiting including any sort of preseason feeds...I know for a fact here in PA if your caught feeding anything to deer its a $5000 fine. I have a friend who was caught on camera putting corn in a trough and the fish and game officer wrote him the fine on the spot.
lol I have a buddy that worked for an outfitter in Texas that is often mentioned on here....they hunted baited stands....he said rifle hunting was a breeze, but bow hunting there was the hardest thing he'd done.....he said "Have you ever tried to draw a bow with 25-30 does feeding below you and not get caught???" He has a point.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:02 PM

thanks for all the imput. i now agree that we should not bait till this is taken care of

oh on the whole baiting thing how do you hunt bears? dogs or bait...good luck any other way. sure it can be done but good luck

shot my bear mid aug, searchmont, ontario over fudge, carmel, molasses and scrape meat. 200lbs and proud of it...rage broad head on that

Quick Reply: why did michigan ban baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.