Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The "rest of the story" - Doe No. 2 Recovered >

The "rest of the story" - Doe No. 2 Recovered

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The "rest of the story" - Doe No. 2 Recovered

Old 09-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The "rest of the story" - Doe No. 2 Recovered

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

Jeff,
You said "I didn't field dress this doe...."

If you get the time can you explain what you mean by this?? I understand you didnt "gut" the deer in the field, but did you do it at home?? I guess not because you didnt "autopsy" the deers vitals, so what and how did you clean up the deer without removing the guts??

I know I am stupid, but I just cant picture how this is done, and I have probably cleaned up 40-50+ deer???

Thanks

Ohhh and congrats on both the deer!!
I'm guessig he cut out all of the meat he knewwas good, straight off the dee, meat that doesnt contact internal organs so to speak... kind of like filleting a fish for lack of a better example.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Jeff,
You said "I didn't field dress this doe...."

If you get the time can you explain what you mean by this?? I understand you didnt "gut" the deer in the field, but did you do it at home?? I guess not because you didnt "autopsy" the deers vitals, so what and how did you clean up the deer without removing the guts??

I know I am stupid, but I just cant picture how this is done, and I have probably cleaned up 40-50+ deer???

Thanks

Ohhh and congrats on both the deer!!
I learned, last year,how to quartera deer and remove the backstraps without field dressing the animal. The only meat sacrificed is the inner tender loins. On an average NC doe.....that's about the equivalent to two pieces of meat the size of aregular banana.

She'd been laying for 13 hours....and I felt this was the best way to get the meat on ice, quickly. I didn't field dress half the does I shot, last season.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 PM

we have done this before as well jeff....skin em back and cut the meat right out. gutting is only neccessary when you dont plan on processing immediately really.

I still prefer to hang em and gut em, but in a pinch it works perfect this way as well.

congrats on two does!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

Nice doe, love them rages lol
Old 09-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff .... perfectly handled!!! Great job and Congrats!!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Great lesson Jeff and I have mentioned before, what you do following a shot might make or break a recover.

Oneshot7, I hope you read this.

Great start to a season Jeff. Keep it up.
I did Rob, and know I know that I shouldnt have gone in, but I left it up to the guy that shot the deer. That being said, that deer would probably have been spoiled here due to the differences in temperature. The second deer that Brian shot ( the thread is a fwe pages back) I convinced him to back out for a little while and the doe was only 30 yards away. Hopefully he took something away from this too. Congrats on your doe Jeff, sorry bout the clogging up your thread.
Brent
Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

As far as not dropping the guts on her thats the way I clean all of mine you can skin them then cut the butt hole out so the guts will drop down inside the rib cage and get the inner loins to, I do understand that hers were probably no good just thought I'd try to explain great job IMO. Good luck the rest of the season, hope things keep going as well for you.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey congrats I didn't even get to see about number 1..so this is all news to me.

Sounds successful enough..2 shots 2 dead and recovered deer.. Kudos
Old 09-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you recovered her Jeff. Let the Doe thining begin There are always lessons in hunting. Agreed??
Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Jeff. I wish you luck in your season and with your "leap." Will it lead you to more PA hunting this year? [8D]

Quick Reply: The "rest of the story" - Doe No. 2 Recovered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.