Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 broad head sharpness >

broad head sharpness

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broad head sharpness

Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Default broad head sharpness

my BH's are muzzy 3 blades, and i have replacement blades for hunting season, i check the blades and they dig into my finger nail. is that sharp enough??? and what about the points, i have shot them a few times, and some feel shaper then others, do you think i will be ok??? is there a way to sharpen the points???
Old 09-22-2008, 07:31 PM

Default RE: broad head sharpness

BUMP
Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

An interesting test I learned to test for sharpness:

Take a rubberband and stretch between your thumb and finger. Insert Broadhead into the rubberband.

If it is sharp enough, it should cut the band on contact, buy just barely touching it.

If you can insert it completely through the other side,.... that sucker is DULL.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 AM

what about the point of the broadhead???
Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can touch up a tip with a file or stone by running it across the flats a few times but unless the tip is actually curled or dulled in some way the Muzzy Trocar style is more of a punching tip than a cutting style.

Sharpening the edges will decrease the amount of force it takes to punch through though so if you feel like getting spunky put a little edge on them if you can, won't hurt.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just went through this with my Magnus Snuffers. They would catch on my fingernail but they wouldn't shave the hair on my arm. I got some help from Shultzy. Now they will shave my arm hair and are ready to go for this weekends opener!
Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very important to have scary sharp heads , like stated before run the 3 flats of the tip on a stone , they sharpen nicely , use new blades , they are cheep
Old 09-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always sharpen my heads no matter what brand. I will touch every head out of the package before the get put on my arrow. To me thats good practice!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

I also shoot 3 blade muzzys and as long as i dont nick or bend one on a deer i will shoot about three deer with 1 and then replace the blades. Muzzy blades are very affordable to do this with. if i nick one or its bent i replace it immeadiatly.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot Muzzy's for years. Just use new heads when you hunt. Or at least replace the practice blades with new sharp blades. I have NEVER had any penetration problems with the muzzy broadheads, even when I did not sharpen them...I used them right out of the box and they have blown threw the last 6-8 deer I have shot.

Quick Reply: broad head sharpness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.