Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting does with fawns? >

Shooting does with fawns?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting does with fawns?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting does with fawns?

I'd like to know some of your opinions on shooting a doe with a fawn (or in my case 3 fawns) Yesterday I had a doe at 12 yards, I have seen her before and she always has her 3 kids in toe. Do you have a heart and let her walk or do you take her down and let them fend. I couldn't do it. especially with one trying to suckle and their soft little bleats as they scamper after momma. I have no problem taking a doe but I felt that it would have been like taking 4 deer if I shot her.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting does with fawns?

i would never do it becuse i dont wont them to die im with you
Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

Sure wouldnt. I would let her walk, and her kids...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the fawns were eating on their own, they will be fine...Seasons are structured so the fawns will be old enough to make it on their own...

But...If it will make you feel bad, let the doe walk...No problem with that either...
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If that doe is dropping triplets, she gets a pass everytime (from me)....Normally, by the time our season opens the fawns are in the yearling stage and I don't see hardly any with spots and we all know they will make it once they start eating as yearlings. I will normally seek out a doe that does not have any yearlings when the rest of the doe's have them. I have also shot doe's with a yearling but like I said if that doe is dropping three at a time, she gets my respect right there and gets a pass....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

They normally get a pass from me, especially with triplets but I have no problem with whatever decision the hunter decides to make. For me, it's usually a no shoot situation.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you have a heart and let her walk or do you take her down and let them fend.
My heart Is just as big as the rest of you who will let that doe walk!! I'll shoot that doe If she has fawns or not. The fawns will make It on there own. This topic Is getting beat to death here lately.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

A "fawn" is a fawn (deer born, this year). It becomes a "yearling" in January (look up the definition). I ONLY point this out for clarification. What you guys call your "this year's deer" is of no concern of mine.

Here's a returnemail I got from our NCWRC wildlife biologist....addressing this veryissue. I asked this question a while back. It's important to note that our season begins, here, in early September.

Mr. Venable,

Fawns here in North Carolina are generally born in May and June, and they are no longer dependent on nursing with the doe when they are about 10 weeks old. Though they may continue supplemental nursing into the early bow season, they are fully capable of surviving on their own if the doe is harvested. The moral dilemma is more an issue of perception or misconception, rather than biology. There is no biological problem with harvesting does, even if they have fawns present, during the early bow season. The fawns will survive. I hope that helps. If you would like to discuss further, please don’t hesitate to give me a call at the number below.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

The fawns/yerlins will make it,however I feel that if she is dropping three she should get a pass, unless your area is over populated with deer. Mine isnt and a doe with three fawns will get a pass by me..
Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 AM

here in michigan i hate to say if i think they would survive i would take her down. due to the amount of does to our buck ratio. there are way to many does thats why michigan had an early doe season this past weekend that you could use anything from a rifle to a bow for does only

Quick Reply: Shooting does with fawns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.