Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting does with fawns? >

Shooting does with fawns?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting does with fawns?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting does with fawns?

I live in Southwest Wisconsin, so if we have another winter like we did last, those fawns may struggle a bit.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

For everyone who says they need there mom when the snow hits In the dead of winter, how or where do you get the idea that there still hanging with mom?? She booted them out back In November already and she could care less about her fawns. In the winter months deer will herd up In bigger groups when there's ample snow. They all will paw away through the ice If Its there and get there food. The strong will live and the weak one's will die. The most likely candidates are the fawns and also the bucks that have been chasing doe's the last 6 weeks that will die 1st.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

For everyone who says they need there mom when the snow hits In the dead of winter, how or where do you get the idea that there still hanging with mom?? She booted them out back In November already and she could care less about her fawns. In the winter months deer will herd up In bigger groups when there's ample snow. They all will paw away through the ice If Its there and get there food. The strong will live and the weak one's will die. The most likely candidates are the fawns and also the bucks that have been chasing doe's the last 6 weeks that will die 1st.
Great post Schultzy!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a doe with "fawns" a few years ago in December. I remember looking at the doe when I found her...there was milk dripping from her nipples. It was kind of hard to see but the fawns were already healthy looking. The game biologist aged the doe at 8.5 years old.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

She booted them out back In November already and she could care less about her fawns.
Schultzy.....It's my understanding that doe fawns will remain with their mothers (in that family group)for life. Do you disagree with this?

Brett:

I killed a doe with "fawns" a few years ago in December. I remember looking at the doe when I found her...there was milk dripping from her nipples. It was kind of hard to see but the fawns were already healthy looking.
Though they may continue supplemental nursing into the early bow season, they are fully capable of surviving on their own if the doe is harvested. The moral dilemma is more an issue of perception or misconception, rather than biology.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow
The game biologist aged the doe at 8.5 years old.
Hell, you did that old gal a favor. That's impressive.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Let me add to what I was saying... of course all deer are going to struggle when the winter is tough but I would think there would still be some learning going on through the winter with mom nearby.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

She booted them out back In November already and she could care less about her fawns.
Schultzy.....It's my understanding that doe fawns will remain with their mothers (in that family group)for life. Do you disagree with this?
I wouldn't think so but to be honest I don't have a clue on that Jeff.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

The reason a doe runs off her buck fawns....is nature's way of preventing in-breeding. She has to worry about her buck fawns breeding his sisters, aunts, etc...

She doesn't have that worry with a doe fawn....and it's my understanding that doe fawns will remain with their mothers (in that doe family group) for life.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:07 AM

I go sit in a tree to kill something that I have a tag for in my pocket. We are given the opportunity to hunt and to help manage the deer herd. A fawn will survive just fine if you kill the doe. Anyone that says they wouldn't shoot a doe with fawns in tow would have a hard time ever getting to shoot one here in MO and IL where I hunt. It is uncommon to see a lone doe, and even when you do see one, very rarely is she actually "dry"(without fawns). There is no telling how many does I have killed and I seriously cannot remember a single one of those that didn't have milk in her udder.

Everyone should make their own decision on to shoot or not, but oughta base that decision on reality. The reality is that the fawns are fine and a pass is based on emotion and not ethics or morals.