Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting does with fawns? >

Shooting does with fawns?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting does with fawns?

Old 09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shooting does with fawns?

There is no question they can survive on their own by early bow season.

However, they are very inexperienced to the way of the woods and are vulnerable to predators, especially other hunters without mom. Not saying that in itself is wrong, but it is fact.

Jeff, I am not doubting you, but I am surprised that you've not had fawns hang around a downed doe as you approach/and or field dress. Again, not saying it is wrong, but this happens frequently.

I don't know what happens to an orphan fawn if orphaned in the first couple of months, but if orphaned by the time deer season rolls around, that deer is on his/her own unless if finds another fawn to team/pair up. Deer have a distinct pecking order and a doe with fawns of her own will force the orphan to keep its distance.

But so is the way of nature. I have no problem shooting one.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

In your situation, I would probably pass on shooting the doe. Personally, I think it depends on the situation and the time of year. If it's getting late in the season and I haven't gotten a deer, I would shoot the doe.Where earlier in the season, Ilet them walk. It also depends on how long they hang around my stand and if I am in the right mood. I shot a doe a few years ago because she hung around my stand forever. I told myself if she walked into a certain shooting lane I would pop her. Sure enough, after feeding for a little while, she walked right in front of the lane so I took her down.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

A "fawn" is a fawn (deer born, this year). It becomes a "yearling" in January (look up the definition). I ONLY point this out for clarification. What you guys call your "this year's deer" is of no concern of mine.

Here's a returnemail I got from our NCWRC wildlife biologist....addressing this veryissue. I asked this question a while back. It's important to note that our season begins, here, in early September.

Mr. Venable,

Fawns here in North Carolina are generally born in May and June, and they are no longer dependent on nursing with the doe when they are about 10 weeks old. Though they may continue supplemental nursing into the early bow season, they are fully capable of surviving on their own if the doe is harvested. The moral dilemma is more an issue of perception or misconception, rather than biology. There is no biological problem with harvesting does, even if they have fawns present, during the early bow season. The fawns will survive. I hope that helps. If you would like to discuss further, please don’t hesitate to give me a call at the number below.

Thanks,

Chris
If it is of no concern to you,why do you feel the need to correct someone who like me has grown up calling deer with spots fawns and when they lose their spots yearlings.It is no different than some people saying they killed a deer last night when clearly they arn't hunting at night ,but hunting the evening.It is just what people are used to from their upbringing.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the day. But on the days that end in Y, and ones that find me with a nanny tag, it is not a problem.[8D]
Old 09-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

If it is of no concern to you,why do you feel the need to correct someone who like me has grown up calling deer with spots fawns and when they lose their spots yearlings.It is no different than some people saying they killed a deer last night when clearly they arn't hunting at night ,but hunting the evening.It is just what people are used to from their upbringing.
It IS of no concern to me what you call them. I pointed out that I clarify the terminology ONLY for reference.....because the wildlife biologist I cited referred to them as "fawns" (properly).

I actually DON'T care what you call them....one bit.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

It IS of no concern to me what you call them. I pointed out that I clarify the terminology ONLY for reference.....because the wildlife biologist I cited referred to them as "fawns" (properly).

I actually DON'T care what you call them....one bit.
You must care since you felt the need to correct someone,I think we all know the difference between a fawn and yearling,but that was not the subject of the post,but as always you seem to turn someone else'e post into something else entirely rather than answer the question which was asked.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I say let them grow. For those struggling with the deer herds, what is your definition of too many deer? My father speaks of times when he would see 80 deer walk past him. I'd loveto show that to my son some day but I highly doubt that he will ever see that day. Here it comes, control becauseof disease. What wiped out the populations in PA was not disease, it was over hunting. If the2 weeks of doe season continues there it will get worse. Brown and it is down really sucks.One more thing, if you need them shot off on your property, give me a call and I will help you with making your property like the state game areas and I have people at work that wouldlove the venison.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Shot a doe last night that had 2 fawns with her. Their spots were gone and they were chowing down on alfalfa. They will make it just fine, until we meet again.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Trey....I'll say this one more time.

I cited the terminology for reference....as the wildlife Bio referred to them as "fawns". I really don't care if you call them "spotties" or "crickets".

No malice intended. Honestly.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

during the early season i usually let them walk, especially if they have fawns in tow. but later in the season i have no problem with it, by then they are fending for themselves pretty much anyways.

Quick Reply: Shooting does with fawns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.