Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting does with fawns? >

Shooting does with fawns?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting does with fawns?

Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting does with fawns?

I just have a question. How does anyone know they're triplets? What if ones mom got hit by a car and another took the fawn in?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know if they are triplets, one seems a bit smaller and the spots are more visible, i see the spots on the rear haunches of only one fawn, This fawn is also always the farthest behind and whines more. (third child syndrome) It is also the only one I have seen try to suckle. Is it possible a doe would have triplets with one being a runt.Or it is possible that this one is a surrogate.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM

Well if its a Moral thing....I have High morals then, I will not shoot a doe that still has a Fawn in tow.....Even if the fawn was a early born and has lost its spots. You can tell the difference in a fawn(born this Year) and a yearling.

And Like I say I have High morals and most of the time the yearliings even get a Free pass, becouse I don't want to take the chance of shooting a button buck which most of the time you can't tell till you shoot it the go to recover it and then you find out its a Button!

So yes I have High Morals!and Proud of it!!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 PM

I'm not sure how passing does with fawns translates into morals? I'd say it has everything to do with emotion and not much else. It definitely has nothing to do with science.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

one of the does is a good bit bigger then the other and the fawn as alot of spots on one leg. it is easy to see which is which. my guest is one doe is the mother of the smaller one and the baby could be either doe's
but then again i am just guesting
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Tim:

If you can distinguish particular fawns with different does......you're in a league of your own.

Just because we don't see a fawn with a doe.....doesn't mean she doesn't have one (or more). Just because we see a fawn......it doesn't mean it's been orphaned. Mama's will stay back and so will fawns (from time to time).

If you have a moral dilemma with the taking of fawns OR does with fawns......then there's nothing wrong with that. there's also nothing wrong with the taking of either.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

i have the same situation with a doe and 2 youngsters (still with spots)feeding and bedding in the same area as my fav treestand. if i encounter them this saturday(ohio bow opener) they will get a pass from me.im not gonna waste a tag on 40 pound youngster or on the mom whose still feeding them. it just depends on the hunter..thats my opinion. i would not look down on someone who would or has, if they have the tag, they can fill it how they please.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i agree not worth the 25 bucks for the tag. now the last week of season if i have no deer if it is brown it is down now if i have a few in the freezer and i have a tag if it is say 1 1/2 years old
ORIGINAL: reds10ss

i have the same situation with a doe and 2 youngsters (still with spots)feeding and bedding in the same area as my fav treestand. if i encounter them this saturday(ohio bow opener) they will get a pass from me.im not gonna waste a tag on 40 pound youngster or on the mom whose still feeding them. it just depends on the hunter..thats my opinion. i would not look down on someone who would or has, if they have the tag, they can fill it how they please.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vito1

I'm not sure how passing does with fawns translates into morals? I'd say it has everything to do with emotion and not much else. It definitely has nothing to do with science.
BINGO!!!! Right on, Vito ..

I wont ever shoot a doe with fawns early in the season......I know the fawns will survive but they still look too much like babies... now come late Novemer / December,Momma doewill get wacked if she comes by, but the fawns will get a pass ..... I don't shoot the little ones on purpose ... not that there is anything wrong with those that do .... I just don't ...
Old 09-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

It happened to me last year.. The doe my brother shot ran 40 yards and died but we didnt hear her crash. We waited 3.5 hours and went to get her and the fawn was standing right next to her. No more killing does with fawns for me after seeing that, just cuz it hit a soft spot I guess
Old 09-22-2008, 04:29 PM

Well i don't think it really matter either way there scientific evidence to support what others have said and just because the doe is by her self don't mean a thing. One of the guys i work with said he has a doe that beds her fawn down on a regular basis just outside his fence underneath a tree and leaves for hours. He even said he can walk up to the fence and the fawn just looks at him. So just cause she's by herself don't mean a thing. Here's some pics of a doe and her fawns frequenting my feeder i'll leave them alone as there are some bigger more mature does i can take if i choose to.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/mopowerman/SUNP0077.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/mopowerman/SUNP0076.jpg

Quick Reply: Shooting does with fawns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.