Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shoot ing from stands >

shoot ing from stands

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shoot ing from stands

Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default shoot ing from stands

ok ive been wonderin why on earth do i shoot higher from a stand than i do on the ground. This will only be my 3 third year bow huntin and ive already shot over about 10 deer because of this
Old 09-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: shoot ing from stands

When you shoot from an elevated positon, are you bending at the waist? If not, this may be the cause.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

i dont think i am..... actually no im not i know im not.... what kinda difference does that really make??
Old 09-21-2008, 09:08 PM

Angles. Whether it's your form changing the angle or the angle you need to shoot to hit your target. Theangles are what's making you miss.

I did the same thing today, only I used my buddy's Archer's Choice Range finder, which gives you the distance of the shot with your calculated angle. I took mytarget out andlet a few arrows rip. Here are the details:

I had four shots/lanes. My furtherst shot was 28.9 yards, but my 20 yard pin was right on. I had two different spots at two completely different angles, but near the same distance. One required me drop 5-6 inches while the other required 1-2 inches to hit my target. Those ranges were 9.8 and 9.9 yards. Not much differences in distance, but the 5-6 drop shot was almost underneath my stand. The 1-2 difference in my shot was with a trail going up hill that brought the target closer to me on a parallel plane.

Easiest solution is to get your target out there and mark off distances, figure out how to use your pins at each site, then writethem down. Hope this helps.

No you don't need a range finder to do this... just a good buddy to retrieve your arrows. Thanks Ben!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are keeping proper form there should be no major differences in your where you are aiming and where you are hitting. If you just move your arm downward towards the animal, you are moving your anchor resulting in your shot being off. Try bending at the waist to keep T in your form and if you do it correctly you should hit where you are aiming. Now if you are trying to shoot EXTREME angles, then it could be the angle coming into the equation. A normal set up 15-20 ft up in a tree and not shooting into a 20ft drop off and you shouldn't have a lot of problems if your form is correct.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

ok ill try to make sure im bendin at the waist thanks guys
Old 09-21-2008, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

If you are keeping proper form there should be no major differences in your where you are aiming and where you are hitting. If you just move your arm downward towards the animal, you are moving your anchor resulting in your shot being off. Try bending at the waist to keep T in your form and if you do it correctly you should hit where you are aiming. Now if you are trying to shoot EXTREME angles, then it could be the angle coming into the equation. A normal set up 15-20 ft up in a tree and not shooting into a 20ft drop off and you shouldn't have a lot of problems if your form is correct.
Yup. That's what's going on with me. Angles are too extreme to keep the form.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

get out in a stand and practice from it. bend at the waist and keep your anchors the same as they would be as if you were shooting from the ground....theres no difference in impact....

shoot the distance for the same distance you would from the ground. if its 20yds from the base of the tree to the target, shoot for 20yds.

best thing to do is get in a stand and practice....no substitute for it
Old 09-22-2008, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Heres a tip and it works for me perfectly. When you draw, follow the back of the front leg up untill you rach the"pit"and release. Being that youre aiming lower you leaveless room for error.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

My first time shooting out of a small-based stand I realized that I wasn't parellel to the bow anymore, rather I was at a 90degree to it. I fixed the problem but also noticed I didn't do it out of stands with bigger foot bases. Just my experience.

Quick Reply: shoot ing from stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.