Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opening week in NC-long read and pics >

Opening week in NC-long read and pics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opening week in NC-long read and pics

Old 09-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opening week in NC-long read and pics

I decided I was going to take the whole first week of archery season off this year, I made it to the woods for 11 sits and saw deer 7 of these sits,
Here is a breakdown

Saturday the opener, hunted am-saw nothing, hunted pm saw 12 in a beanfield 100 yards away,hotter than hades all day

Monday- Hunted am - had two behind me at first light, but still too dark to shoot, Monday Pm - saw nothing

Tuesday - am Rain so I slept in, Tues Pm - starts getting exciting here, had a nice 16-17inch 8point at 17 yards with a doe, stood and shifted in the tree, waiting on him to hit the opening... started to draw back and actually had put on a rain gear shirt, bad move on my part the shirt scrapped the pine tree and startled both deer, stayed till dark but no other deer in range saw 5 total

Wednesday AM- Went back to same spot as Tuesday evening, had a large doe underneath the stand about 8:30 decided to take her, she fed out to about 15 yards and turned broadside, I slowly stood up and begin to draw, she caught some movement and spooked , she stopped again at 32 yards and I dumped the string, she bolted but I heard a solid hit. Blood was sparse and very dark at first. I backed out and went and scouted some other areas returning at 11:30. I decided to take a shortcut back to my stand, made it into the woods about 60 yards and see a white belly. She made it about 200 yards and was hit slightly back in the Liver. No pics of this one, batteries were dead in camera
Wednes Pm - no deer seen

Thursday AM - I slept in- forgot to mention woke up Sunday with a case of walking pneumonia but wasn't going to let this keep me out of the woods so I am still sick as hell and hunted this way all week

Thursday Pm - was waiting on the right wind for a stand I have in an oak ridge leading up to a beanfield,got to the 15ft ladder about 4pm and the wind had shifted,contemplated the situation and went back the four wheeler and grabbed my climber, hunted just inside the woods on a well used trail where I could cover the logging road and the inside of the ridge. Fighting and muffling the urge to cough all day, was a little dizzy so I strapped myself in extra tight and was about 25ft when I settled in. Was confident in the tree from the moment I settled in, at 6:04 pm a large doe made her way to about 7 yards to the right of my tree, I decide to take her she dropped in her tracks at the shot and expired quickly, I put at additional shot in her as she hit the ground. I sit until 7pm and decide to get out of there and get her cleaned. originally took my release off but decide to put it back on as i had to walk by the large beanfield to my 4 wheeler. I walked slowly checking openings as I went, about 100 yards from my tree , noticed 3 bucks at the edge of the field, the largest was a tall 6point about 12inches wide and really tall. I drew back a placed my pin on him as him was broadside and feeding. Decided he wasn't big enough and eased the bow down and continued to the road, came face to face with a big doe at about 5 feet she startled me as much as I startled her.
I eased up the path towards the 4 wheeler and noticed a large group of deer feeding ahead.. I tiptoed along the edge scanning for twigs and walking quietly as possible. I got with in range and noticed several does,yearlings, and three small bucks - 2 spikes and a 4 point. The deer were feeding quickly and moving straight away, I picked up the pace to keep up with them and noticed a large doe heading through the woods ahead, she was 25 yards and broadside. I drew and placed my pin tight into her shoulder, at the shot she turned a headed towards the beanfield.I could see a large patch of blood on her side and knew she wasn't going far. I walked to the edge of beanfield and watched her fall 50 yards out, I was wearing my ultimate camo - so it works well for stalking as well as in the trees. I am pumped now, first deer I have taken on the ground and I am pleased with the wasp jak-hammers I started shooting this year.

FRi Am- I am operating on little sleep, from cleaning two deer the night before, one of the other members of the club called and said he was heading down Friday and wanted to hunt one of my ladders. I told him I would meet him at 5am, and walk him to the stand. I got to sleep about 1:30 am and back up at 3am -- anyways onto the hunt. I made it to my stand about 5:45 am and settled in, was fighting sleep and cramping up from being ill all week. I contemplated getting down and going to sleep but this was my first sit in this stand and wanted to at least wait until 9am. I felt good about this location and had the feeling deer would be moving, about 8am I heard a twig snap looking over my left shoulder ..there are five does heading towards the cutover. I picked the 2nd largest one and had a small opening in the brush to shoot through. Settled my pin on her heart and dumped the release... perfect shot - she bolted 50 yards and piled up.

FRi- pm, the other guy was wanting to see some deer and asked my opinion, I told him the wind was perfect for the beanfield. We went and placed our climbers in trees about 300 yards apart at the edge of the beanfield. Was terribly windy and it didn't want to settled down, I manged to see 5 does at about 70 yards and he managed to shot a doe at last light..

Sat Am- I slept in, after no sleep in the last two days needed to rest, was a little disappointed in myself to wake up and find cooler weather
Sat Pm - Hunted and saw no deer, tow other members hunted as well and saw no deer either

Equipment used
Bowtech commander 65lbs, acc 360's, wasp jak hammers broadheads 100 grain. extreme single pin sight

Pics below

Old 09-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opening week in NC-long read and pics

Pics
Old 09-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Brknarrow1970

Pics
where??????????????
Old 09-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

trying again

Old 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Friday AM

Old 09-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Frank that's awesome!!! Full freezer today!!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats! Nice goats!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like an awesome week. Great Job.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Way to go Frank!

You're off to a great start. I've still not fired a shot....but I have come to full draw twice.....and had some in range I didn't want to take.

Looks like I ought to be hinting with YOU....lol.

Congrats again, buddy.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the backstraps brother!!!!

Quick Reply: Opening week in NC-long read and pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.