Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tough Night tonite >

Tough Night tonite

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tough Night tonite

Old 09-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tough Night tonite

Some of you guys that don't have to deal with the temperatures that we have here in the south just don't get it. Several years ago I shot a big doe in the evening, I saw the arrow hit perfect right behind the shoulder. When I got down and looked at the arrow there was gut matter on it. Having had this happen to me before I knew what had happened, the broadhead entered between the ribs and glanced off one and exited low out of the guts. I didn't even attempt the blood trail, just left and went home. I called a friend with a dog and he was having some problems with something else and he talked me into waiting until morning, so I did. I came back the next morning earlyand found her about 200 yards from the shot. I took her home cleaned her and we attempted to use the meat, but it was rancid and we couldn't eat it. In this kind of weather you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

Well, we invited our buddy Brian from SC...about 40 minutes, but not wanting the meat to spoil we took up the trail.
ORIGINAL: Brian/SC
Considering the temp, Iwould have given her an hour or two max,takenupthe trail, andfielddressed her asap. Sounds like a judgement call. JMO
Coincidence?

Brian
Yep strange coincidence
Old 09-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

definently went against all the rules on that one! the others beat you up enough...but to learn from your mistakes, you must realize that you did indeed make one.

everything about the scenario screams WAIT. im pretty sure this is your first season bowhunting??
That is harsh man, try my fifth

hard to learn to WAIT when in doubt.....we all understand meat can spoil, yotes, wolves etc etc can beat you to the deer....but finding a spoiled DEAD deer is better than jumping and chasing a wounded one and never finding it. you cannot tell me you did not jump the deer...whether or not you know you did or not, YOU DID. a deer wounded even in the guts is almost always going to bed within a couple hundred yards...not well over a mile away.

and giving up because its thick and your getting scratched up? thats another pooooor excuse. sorry, but to learn from your mistakes you gotta realize there was a mistake made. i dont care how thick it is...where theres a will, theres a way. and to find downed game, the will should be VERY strong! that would be like me saying "oh the coonhound is treed deep in the briars im not gunna walk in there to get him" (had a dog that would die before he ever left a tree no matter what..if we didnt go in and get him he wasnt leaving) Ill put you in these briars and lets see how much you can move, the past two nights I have been stuck in the same general area for over an hour trying to figure out which way I should go, then I have to call for help to get out, keep in mind this is my land that I know like the back of my hand.

not trying to beat you up....just trying to help you learn. hope you take these posts and realize there were mistakes made and you need to learn from it. im pretty sure dang near everyone makes similar mistakes the first time or 2 around before they wise up...some never wise up...thats the beauty of the internet and particularly forums like these...GREAT way to learn QUICKLY because 10000 other guys likely been there and done that...no matter what it is...

good luck in the future....going back out where you lost blood in the morning would be a GREAT thing to do...though she could be a good ways away since you guys were beating brush and spooking her and then were lost and beating more brush....

just the length of the trail should sent ques that maybe it wasnt such a great shot....after 100 or 200yds you should have realized that...

people often talk about bubbles in blood...i bet most of them never seen true lung blood....its not bubbles...its FROTHY...hard to describe...but its frothy..think large foamy bubbles...little air bubbles in blood isnt lung blood...by the time most lung shot deer start showing frothy blood, you can see them dead...
Once again, I know what lung blood looks like, I just followed it two nights ago. Thanks for some good words, but I did not shoot the deer. I left it up to his judgement call and if he says he wants deer meat reguardless of spoiling then I go.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't ever show a flaw in hunting judgement is the real solution. But.. the tracking started to quickly I know the cat briar jungle thickets well and it is the toughest going out there. It's hard walking or crawling never mind looking for sign.

I really know first hand from last season. I put a disabled Pal in one of my sweet stands and he hit a doe. He said he thought he got liver but the penetration could have been ALOT better. Dispite my urging he started dogging that nanny like a hound after an hour or so. We kicked her out of her death bed a few hundred yards later and she was never seen again. Clotted up with zero blood. It all equals a dead deer never found.
Live and Learn is all you can do..

Old 09-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

"WE he said I got the guts because she turned as I shot."

I remember waiting about 8 hours to track a liver/gut shot buck last year...backed out slowly and found the buck within 45 yards of where I shot him.

YOU HAVE to backout and wait/be patient when bowhunting!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

sorry for some reason i thought read that it was your first season with a bow this year...but i didnt think it was till i read that....dont take that personal...i could sworn i read you post it was your first bowseason...either way, it sounds like you guys are still learning to bloodtrail...

either way stuff happens....gotta learn from it or you'll never become a better, more educated hunter. thats what we all strive for. or should.

heat or not you were uncertain of the hit and admitted in the post a few times that you thought you had guts. then jumped back and forth to guts to lung and liver. you didnt know, i dont know, noone knows. best thing to do? wait a half hour or so in the stand...sneak down, retrieve the arrow if possible or look around the point of impact to try to decide what kind of hit was made...if you cant decide, wait a bit longer. a dead deer isnt going anywhere... i understand its warm out and it can spoil....but, thats part of hunting in the heat. no way around it. pushing a poorly shot deer just doesnt help no matter what. all it will do is cause you to loose the trail then you loose the animal forever and it dies a death in a nasty briar thicket where noone will ever see it again. on the other hand, you wait, maybe it spoils...maybe it dont. meat cant spoil till the animal dies...remember that. but either way, you found the deer and can learn from it and get the antlers etc if it was a buck....much better option than pushing a poorly/unknown shot animal.

im not blood trailing expert....but really im not giving advice other than wait when your uncertaint. its a hard rule to learn. im lucky, i havent lost a deer to not waiting yet, but know many guys that have. gotta learn from your own mistakes, but when you can learn from OTHERS, well, thats awesome because that means you dont have to make that mistake!

good luck the rest of the season!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunting in 80+ degree temperatures where the low at night is only in the 60's, I'd say the meat would be spoiled by the time you recovered the animal. even so, its always better on the conscience when you can lay your eyes on the animal and know for sure it died.
I recovered a doe last fall after she laid all night in 50's temps. She ate just fine.

I'd like to hear from someone knowledgeable about spoiling meat....and maybe learn something constructive from this post.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Hunting in 80+ degree temperatures where the low at night is only in the 60's, I'd say the meat would be spoiled by the time you recovered the animal. even so, its always better on the conscience when you can lay your eyes on the animal and know for sure it died.
I recovered a doe last fall after she laid all night in 50's temps. She ate just fine.

I'd like to hear from someone knowledgeable about spoiling meat....and maybe learn something constructive from this post.
I've also recovered deer that layed all night dead via gut shots in 70 and 80 degree temps and they too were fine. The thing Is once you find them the next day you have to get on the ball and get It quartered out and butchered right away.

It can be done, trust me! Another prime example Is when were bear hunting. Allot of times the temps are 80 some degree's during the day and 60 and 70 degree's at night and we've let many bear go till the next morning before tracking being we were unsure of the shot placement. Bear have 100 times the fat of a deer, there hides are insulators and we've never lost a bear due to It being to warm. We've lost bear meat due to carelessness and not getting It quartered and skinned out when we should of. Next time let It go over night, It will be fine. Good luck on the next blood trail!!