HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Sighting in with field tips and broadheads. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/264071-sighting-field-tips-broadheads.html)

armybowhunter 09-20-2008 11:42 AM

Sighting in with field tips and broadheads.

Is it normal for your field tips and broadheads to hit differently. i dont get the same accuracy. so do i resight my bow in with the broadheads? want to make sure i am good. any help would be great

Shawn Perkins 09-20-2008 11:45 AM

RE: Sighting in with field tips and broadheads.

yes. i shoot my fieldpoints till about a week before the season. then if i have 6 broadheads i will use one set for practice. NEVER shoot your practice broadhead at an animal. use new ones

just shoot your broadhead, see where it hits, the sight it in for that

Chuck7 09-20-2008 01:32 PM

That's exactly what I do..

OHbowhntr 09-20-2008 01:50 PM

"NO!!!"

You can usually adjust things a little to get both FP's and BH's hitting near same Point of Impact.... Read this thread from Archerytalk, it's first page is well worth your time..... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460.

In very small increments, move the rest towards where you want the BH's to go until you are at same POI. Also BH's will "exaggerate" any form flaws, so shooting BH's usually results in a little larger variation in group size.

buckwild41 09-21-2008 05:58 PM

Follow OHbowhunter's advise,, It works like a charm , well worth the little time it takes..

nissan300ztt 09-21-2008 06:05 PM

in my experience just shot mechanicals or small bladed broadheads....because the bigger the blades the more the blades wanna act like vanes

74#KE 09-21-2008 06:32 PM

paper tune it is a good place to start

bowmanaj 09-21-2008 06:51 PM

Might wanna giveSlick Tricks a try. I didnt have to re-tune my bow for them, they fly just like my fp

OHbowhntr 09-21-2008 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: 74#ofkentic

paper tune it is a good place to start
It can be, but if you have space to shoot, your just as well off to shot some FP's and some BH's, and see where they hit and start tweaking!!!!!! I've seen quite a few "paper-tuned" bows that needed "re-tuned" to shoot BH's!!!

Shawn Perkins 09-21-2008 08:26 PM

my muzzy 100s fly exactly where my f.ps do with my new setup

RobinAim Low 09-22-2008 09:13 AM

oops...double posted.

RobinAim Low 09-22-2008 09:16 AM

Do yourself a favor, read OHbowhntr's posts, and don't just sight in for broadheads. That may allow you to hit where you aim, but you really want your arrows to flying as straight as possible when it hits the animal you are shooting at.

An invaluable resource is the Easton TuningGuide. IMO, it oughta be requiredreading with a test for anyone thatbuys a bowhunting tag.

http://www.thearcher.com/resourceCentre/itemDetails.cfm?itemId=2

ltpelham 09-22-2008 09:20 AM

well with the rage 2 blade they shot just like my field points so i had no adjustments at all but i shot a grim reaper and its like i never sighted my bow in

8mm 09-22-2008 11:20 AM

i have always hurd that they will hit different but mine always hit the same never had a problem with it

Vabowman 09-22-2008 11:20 AM

if the bow is perfectly tuned then it should not matter what BH you shoot, they should fly just like your fp. I can shoot many different heads right now and no difference. make sure you are tuned

GrayDawg 09-22-2008 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Shawn Perkins

NEVER shoot your practice broadhead at an animal. use new ones

I take it you've never shot Silver Flames? Of the 4 Silver Flames that are in my quiver, I've shot 2 of them into a block target. Each of these two heads is EVERY bit as sharp as the two that weren't shot into my Block target. If I laid all four of these heads on my workbench, NOBODY- and I mean nobody would be able to pick out the two heads that hit my Block target.

So why shouldn't I use either of these two "practice" heads on an animal? They are EVERY bit as sharp as my other SFs and probably ALOT sharper than most broadheads coming straight out of the pack.

Rob

brucelanthier 09-22-2008 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: GrayDawg

I take it you've never shot Silver Flames? Of the 4 Silver Flames that are in my quiver, I've shot 2 of them into a block target. Each of these two heads is EVERY bit as sharp as the two that weren't shot into my Block target. If I laid all four of these heads on my workbench, NOBODY- and I mean nobody would be able to pick out the two heads that hit my Block target.

So why shouldn't I use either of these two "practice" heads on an animal? They are EVERY bit as sharp as my other SFs and probably ALOT sharper than most broadheads coming straight out of the pack.

Rob
I think he was talkingto the other 99% of hunters that do not use Silver Flames ;).

GrayDawg 09-22-2008 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Rob
I think he was talkingto the other 99% of hunters that do not use Silver Flames ;).
So not only are you Shawn Perkins' Official Spokesman, you also have access to Broadhead Utilization Statistics that not even Broadhead Manufacturers have been able to wrap their arms around and publish with any degree of confidence? :eek:

Rob

brucelanthier 09-22-2008 12:57 PM

Rob
So not only are you Shawn Perkins' Official Spokesman, you also have access to Broadhead Utilization Statistics that not even Broadhead Manufacturers have been able to wrap their arms around and publish with any degree of confidence? :eek:

Rob
Well, I figure if you can be silver flame's Official Spokesman then I can be Shawn Perkins. Oh, and I get my Broadhead Utilization Statistics from the same place you get your BroadheadSharpness Statistics. ;)

bcvd45 09-22-2008 03:07 PM

it depends a lot on your broadhead wieghts too....I shoot G5's and they hit exactly where my field points hit. It can depend on the broadhead a lot. My brother uses mechanicals and has to completely readjust everything. But the G5's shoot just like the fieldtips on his bow too.

afrdnckhntr 09-22-2008 03:09 PM

i do what oh was talkin about

GrayDawg 09-22-2008 05:14 PM

Rob

Rob
I get my Broadhead Utilization Statistics from the same place you get your BroadheadSharpness Statistics. ;)
You've never seen my archery tackle box, nor have you been privy to the countless conversations I've had with hundreds of bowhunters at numerous sportsman's shows here in the northeast. In every one of these conversations, I show prospective Silver Flame customers two Silver Flames- one that's brand new &another that's been through a Block target 10 times, through two different deer & one bear. Not only can they NOT tell me which one is the brand new SF head, they all say the same thing- "That's the sharpest head I've ever seen/felt!"

As for being a German Kinetics' spokesman........ no. But have you figured it out yet that I'm a rep? :D

Knucklehead........ don't throw stones at a man with a machinegun

Rob

Shawn Perkins 09-22-2008 05:28 PM

hey buddy.i was talking about using your PRACTICE broadhead. shot many times* at a target.

OF COURSE if you shoot a broadhead into a foam brick target 2 times its still going to feel as sharp as new. now go and shoot your tough guy silver flames into a target about 50 times a day.

idc what b.h you use....its still not good enough for me to shoot at an animal after being shot at a target many times.

brucelanthier 09-22-2008 05:47 PM

Rob

Rob
I get my Broadhead Utilization Statistics from the same place you get your BroadheadSharpness Statistics. ;)
You've never seen my archery tackle box, nor have you been privy to the countless conversations I've had with hundreds of bowhunters at numerous sportsman's shows here in the northeast. In every one of these conversations, I show prospective Silver Flame customers two Silver Flames- one that's brand new &another that's been through a Block target 10 times, through two different deer & one bear. Not only can they NOT tell me which one is the brand new SF head, they all say the same thing- "That's the sharpest head I've ever seen/felt!"

As for being a German Kinetics' spokesman........ no. But have you figured it out yet that I'm a rep? :D

Rob
I am betting that a G5 striker is just as sharp and will kill deer just as dead. Oh yeah, that's right, you're gonna use the striker in MA so you'll get better blood trails and the silver flame out west because because you don't think the strikers will be accurate at 45 yds (perhaps its the bow or the archer and not the BH ;)LOL). What good is" ...the sharpest head I've ever seen/felt!" if you don't trust it to leave a good blood trail LOL. How much sharper past shaving hair does a BH need to be, to be worth almost $30 each :eek:. Put some ammo in the machine gunfella ;).

I would have never figured out that you were a rep for silver flames (German Kinetics). I assumed it was a quality company that associated with quality people. Guess I was wrong ;).

[ul][*]100gr. G5 Strikers at home in MA over my Food Plot.[*]100gr. German Kinetics Silver Flames when I go out to Nebraska the first week of November.[/ul]

The reason for the two different heads? The G5 Strikers leave an unbelievably large, gapping exit hole
that sets the stage for a blood trail which even Ray Charles could follow. They fly very well in my set up
out to about 25 yards. The German Kinetics Silver Flames however, fly with my field points out to 45 yards
and penetrate like nobody's business.

In the thick hardwoods of MA, I may need a good bloodtrail if tracking at night & my shots will most likely be inside of 25 yards. In the relatively more open country of north central Nebraska, I may need to take a shot at a distance greater than 25 yards, so accuracy at a longer distance is more of a priority than 4" wide blood trails.

Rob

Shawn Perkins 09-22-2008 08:01 PM

do those things even fly good? looked at em on google..
who else uses em?

GrayDawg 09-22-2008 09:03 PM

Rob

Rob

Rob
I am betting that a G5 striker is just as sharp and will kill deer just as dead. Oh yeah, that's right, you're gonna use the striker in MA so you'll get better blood trails and the silver flame out west because because you don't think the strikers will be accurate at 45 yds (perhaps its the bow or the archer and not the BH ;)LOL). What good is" ...the sharpest head I've ever seen/felt!" if you don't trust it to leave a good blood trail LOL. How much sharper past shaving hair does a BH need to be, to be worth almost $30 each :eek:. Put some ammo in the machine gunfella ;).

I would have never figured out that you were a rep for silver flames (German Kinetics). I assumed it was a quality company that associated with quality people. Guess I was wrong ;).

[ul][*]100gr. G5 Strikers at home in MA over my Food Plot.[*]100gr. German Kinetics Silver Flames when I go out to Nebraska the first week of November.[/ul]

The reason for the two different heads? The G5 Strikers leave an unbelievably large, gapping exit hole
that sets the stage for a blood trail which even Ray Charles could follow. They fly very well in my set up
out to about 25 yards. The German Kinetics Silver Flames however, fly with my field points out to 45 yards
and penetrate like nobody's business.

In the thick hardwoods of MA, I may need a good bloodtrail if tracking at night & my shots will most likely be inside of 25 yards. In the relatively more open country of north central Nebraska, I may need to take a shot at a distance greater than 25 yards, so accuracy at a longer distance is more of a priority than 4" wide blood trails.

Rob

Bruce,
You're a 'tard. Are you attempting to rag on the SF because it's accurate with my fieldpoints out to 45 yards in my set up? I hunt very thick, wet, swampy areas bordered by thicker overgrown hardwoods. The SFs are very accurate,very durable, extremely sharp & devastating on big game. I hunt a food plotin the middle of these woods and most of my shots are inside of 20 yards- let alone 25. So I go with the Strikers because of the gapping hole. On any shot over 25 yards, my confidence in the strikers flying with my fieldpoints decreases dramatically.

So in more open,wide expanses found out west, my choice is the Silver Flame due to it's accuracy at longer ranges.

I think you're just mad at the world 'cuz your Terps have sucked in hoop for the last few years........ get over it.

Rob

OHbowhntr 09-22-2008 09:18 PM

Bruce,
You're a 'tard. Are you attempting to rag on the SF because it's accurate with my fieldpoints out to 45 yards in my set up? I hunt very thick, wet, swampy areas bordered by thicker overgrown hardwoods. The SFs are very accurate,very durable, extremely sharp & devastating on big game. I hunt a food plotin the middle of these woods and most of my shots are inside of 20 yards- let alone 25. So I go with the Strikers because of the gapping hole. On any shot over 25 yards, my confidence in the strikers flying with my fieldpoints decreases dramatically.

So in more open,wide expanses found out west, my choice is the Silver Flame due to it's accuracy at longer ranges.

I think you're just mad at the world 'cuz your Terps have sucked in hoop for the last few years........ get over it.

Rob
Rob,
From an economical bowhunter's standpoint, those SILVER FLAMES could be the MOST PERFECT flying, MOST LETHAL BH in the world, and I'd still NEVER cough up $90 for 3 of them!!!! I killed my biggest buck with a BH that I paid $1.67 for, 3 pack was $5 on clearance at Wal-Mart. I shot 3 different heads this morning, and they all fly right on with my FP's at 24, 32, and 40yds. out of 3 different bows. Not sure how we got onto the SF bandwagon or the "Who's is bigger thing," but it's gonna be a VERY COLD day in hell before MOST of us hear will ever shoot SF BH's. I could buy a Lambroghini to drive to my hunting spot, and get there just the same way I get there in my truck, but I don't see the point in the Lambroghini, and I can't load 25 sheets of plywood in one, I can put firewood in one, and if I scratched it I'd be sick about it.

As for tuning BH's follow the couple links provided here, be patient, and try to relax as much as you can. Remember good follow through, as the BH's is going to amplify any form flaws, and I think "FOLLOW THROUGH" is often times the BIGGEST form flaw that archers seem to have in general.

Good Hunting!!!!

brucelanthier 09-23-2008 07:29 AM

Bruce,

Rob
I don't think there is anything wrong with the silver flames but apparently you do or you would use them everywhere. If I were a 'tard, I might just understand your illogic as to why you don't use the silver flames all the time LOL ;). Maybe if someone set up your bow and arrows correctly you might see the strikers fly with your fieldpoints at longer ranges :eek:. OHbowhntr has given you some good advice on how to find some info to tune your setup, be smart and follow it.

It would seem that becoming a rep for silver flames is more about who you blow than what you know because you don't know **** about interpersonal skills so you must be good at................;)

I am a little more grown-up than to tie my attitude to what a sports team does or doesn't do :eek:.